Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
DC Pit Crew
10,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what's the absolute cheapest way to get a C5 (or hypothetically C6) to use mostly on the track? I'd want it to be safe and legal to drive on the street, but it doesn't have to be comfortable.

Is there any reason not to buy a damaged 'vette and rebuild it? What if it has a salvage title? I'm fine doing some body work to get it looking decent and mechanical issues don't scare me. I don't mind high miles or hard use since it probably won't be anything worse that what I'd like to do to it. Assuming the frame is straight are there some major pitfalls to going that route? :huh:

case in point:
'00 with 113K and damaged title for $12,500

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
what's the absolute cheapest way to get a C5 (or hypothetically C6) to use mostly on the track? I'd want it to be safe and legal to drive on the street, but it doesn't have to be comfortable.

Is there any reason not to buy a damaged 'vette and rebuild it? What if it has a salvage title? I'm fine doing some body work to get it looking decent and mechanical issues don't scare me. I don't mind high miles or hard use since it probably won't be anything worse that what I'd like to do to it. Assuming the frame is straight are there some major pitfalls to going that route? :huh:
I would avoid the damaged vette route personally unless you have a connection at a body shot so you can determine if the frame is indeed straight. With the economy as it is now you should be able to find a used C5 under $15K. Even with a six speed. I got my convertible for just over $16 with tax, title and license here in TX

A Z06 may be a good option as it gives more tack goodies and you will be hard pressed to find one without some mods done to it(this is good for going to the track)

·
DC Pit Crew
10,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm surprised kelly blue book says a '99 FRC with 50,000 miles in good condition is only worth $11,750. Ebay prices don't seem to reflect that :crazy:

·
Registered
889 Posts
I was looking a while back and found some C5 FRC's with around 100K miles in the $12,500 range. Keep looking, I would NOT recommend buying a car with a salvaged title. That basically means that the car was damaged beyond repair from the insurance companies perspective.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Perfect car to buy if you want to build a Factory Five GTM kit though. :partyon:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Those cars on on eBay because the owners refuse to accept the reality that they dont have a $30,000 used car anymore. :crazy: I bought my Vette with 66,000 miles and 6spd for 18k

·
Registered
493 Posts
autotrader.com shows 9 listings in the sub 15k range within 100 miles of nc. If I didnt have some major stuff goin on right now, Id be grabbing one up. The deals are out there, ya just have to find them. Good luck with the search :thumbsup:

·
Registered
871 Posts
I see no reason that a PROPERLY rebuilt car would not be safe as an undamaged one, I have been around them my whole life.

That said, we see clear title similar mileage C5's for $10-$11k at the auctions.

:thumbsup:

case in point:
'00 with 113K and damaged title for $12,500

·
DC Pit Crew
10,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys. I'll keep my eyes open for a good deal and see what happens. I should make friends with someone with a dealer's license so I can get one at auction. Maybe craigslist will have better prices.

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
If you can get a good deal on a car that has #1 no frame damage and #2 is not a flood vehicle, I wouldn't worry about the salvage title for a track car. I almost wish I had gone that route myself. I could have had a decent driver for the street AND a track car for what I paid for the low miles car I bought.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I was looking a while back and found some C5 FRC's with around 100K miles in the $12,500 range. Keep looking, I would NOT recommend buying a car with a salvaged title. That basically means that the car was damaged beyond repair from the insurance companies perspective.
For a car you intend only for track use, don't be afraid of a salvage titled car. You can get them dirt cheap with a salvage title. However, find out WHY it got the salvage title slapped on it. Have a good inspection done and make sure the frame (if there was any frame damage) was fixed correctly. Remember, these C5s are getting cheap (whether we want to admit it or not) and it doesn't take a lot of damage to earn a salvage title.

Also, look for a car that's already prepped. You can get a caged ready-to-go weekend racer for pennies on the dollar. Racecars get thrashed on, so the cheaper you can find one for, the better and a salvage title will help you out. Just do your homework before pulling the trigger. :thumbsup:

I'm not sure how street legal this one is anymore, and the price is a little high, imo, but he's gotten zero bids in the week it's been up and it's got some good parts on it!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Corvette-Race-Car-C5-C6-Track-SCCA-NASA-NCCC-C6R-LS1-LS_W0QQitemZ150401552979QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRace_Car_Parts?hash=item2304a19253#ht_977wt_1140

·
DC Pit Crew
10,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not sure how street legal this one is anymore, and the price is a little high, imo, but he's gotten zero bids in the week it's been up and it's got some good parts on it!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Corvette-Race-Car-C5-C6-Track-SCCA-NASA-NCCC-C6R-LS1-LS_W0QQitemZ150401552979QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRace_Car_Parts?hash=item2304a19253#ht_977wt_1140
huh, talk about a franken-vette. That thing is a serious blend of C5 and C6. The Pfadt coilovers and sways alone are worth a few bucks. Kind of odd that he went to all that work, finally finished it, and now is selling before ever getting to compete in it. :crazy:

·
DC Pit Crew
10,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Not always true. I had an S-10 junked my the insurance company because all the windows were smashed out of it. Paid out $4500 instead of putting windows in it.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
what "put together" kit are you talking about? The GTM is around $20K from FFR if I recall correctly.

yep, here we go:
https://factoryfiveparts.com/orderform/gtm/orderform.html

--edit--

ooooooh, you mean a kit of the donor parts you need from a C5:
donor parts
Yeah, was talking about the donor parts since I will not be using an LS1. I will be throwing in an LS7 along with a few extra goodies.

I have seen 98-99 6 sp coupes go for as low as 10k, so with a little patience and persistance I am sure you could get in one for almost nothing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I see no reason that a PROPERLY rebuilt car would not be safe as an undamaged one, I have been around them my whole life.

That said, we see clear title similar mileage C5's for $10-$11k at the auctions.

:thumbsup:
Tracy, I drag race a C5. First I bought the C5 and then later decided to race it. Had I done this in reverse I would not have bought a C5. Too dam- hard to work on and very expensive to modify. For the strip I would have bought a C3 or C4. Or maybe a Cam***. I know, I shouldn't use that word on here! :laughing:

·
DC crew
4,102 Posts
I'm starting to think it would be wiser and safer to get a C5 for the track. Check out these crazy deals!!! I just might be looking at that silver one.

Both do have branded titles.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=272402354&dealer_id=614375&car_year=2002&engine=&fuel=&lastStartYear=1981&sort_type=priceDESC&systime=&default_sort=priceDESC&drive=&style_flag=1&body_code=0&sownerid=100025014&seller_type=b&min_price=&color=&model=CORV&keywords_display=&advanced=&distance=0&doors=&keywordsrep=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&awsp=false&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&rdm=1263178505893&marketZipError=false&keywordsfyc=&search_type=both&transmission=&max_price=15000&max_mileage=&end_year=2004&make=CHEV&start_year=2001&certified=&num_records=25&make2=&address=98108&page_location=findacar::ispsearchform&first_record=1&pager.offset=0&cardist=701&standard=false&rdpage=thumb

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=272911112&dealer_id=617081&car_year=2002&engine=&fuel=&lastStartYear=1981&sort_type=priceDESC&default_sort=priceDESC&systime=&drive=&style_flag=1&body_code=0&sownerid=100025014&seller_type=b&min_price=&color=&model=CORV&keywords_display=&advanced=&distance=0&doors=&keywordsrep=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&awsp=false&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&rdm=1263178505893&marketZipError=false&keywordsfyc=&search_type=both&transmission=&max_price=15000&max_mileage=&end_year=2004&make=CHEV&start_year=2001&num_records=25&certified=&make2=&page_location=findacar::ispsearchform&address=98108&first_record=26&pager.offset=25&cardist=2254&standard=false&rdpage=thumb

Jr.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I already gave you my opinion on the C5. I have often thought about a CTS-V but they have the manual tranny and that's not good for bracket racing. Too inconsistent. Good luck on whatever you decide.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 64 Posts