Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've always wanted a vette. Lately i've been looking for a limited edition '98 Grand Cherokee 5.9L. then i started taking a liking to the 8-series BMW. I decided that the vette is just way faster. I don't like the fact that they are much more common than my first choices, but everything else about it just has more balls. The 5.9 would be fun, but it will tip over the way i like to drive ;). I'll have to hitch a ride with a friend when i want to go snowboarding, surfing, etc.

So i'm looking at spending around $11,000 on a particular stock '92. What's special about it? It has very low miles. I'm talking low, as in you wouldn't believe me if i told you low.

As a newbie, I need a few peices of info. I don't think I am going to pass this '92 up unless there was seriously something wrong with them. I've found that it's the first year that LT1 comes standard. I would like to know how many ponies that makes, what the 1/4 mile is, and some other standard mechanical info (this '92 is automatic). I didn't find what i was looking for in the "general c4 info forum" threads, unfortunately. I'd like to know the known problems, fixes, etc. (On the other hand, this is a new vette. Low miles doesn't begin to describe it).

Another peice of required info is the easy/cheapest way to free up those first few ponies. Standard measures like computer chip programming, intake and exhaust mods, premufflers and intake mufflers and governors and stuff that shouldn't be in there!

Finally, i've looked at all of the pictures on the entire website and i can't tell one wheel from another. I want to know what 18"s would look like on the c4 stock height, and lowered a hair. Cant tell what is what though. I found some replica Z06 18" wheels that i'd like to see on the c4, can't find that either. On the same topic, I would like to know the standard protocol for lowering the '92 c4-- spindle drop? spring drop? what type? need to change out shocks?

I know i got 50 questions and i haven't contributed anything to the forum but i promise if this place is cool i can help out quite a bit! I've been a car enthusiast forever and the vette belongs in my garage (i've waited patiently!).

Edit: ok i found lowering info:
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1331

wow that's a cheap and easy way to get a drop. especially since i have a car lift. that should be a breeze. i think 1" is more than enough drop with 18" rims. i like the rims to look like they are snug but not crowded in the well (don't know if you have any idea what i'm talking about!).

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
Hey Stabmaster, welcome to digitalcorvettes!

First, here is a link to the history of C4's.

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80

stabmaster said:
.... $11,000 on a particular stock '92. What's special about it? It has very low miles. I'm talking low, as in you wouldn't believe me if i told you low.
What's special? Not sure. What options are on it? You could be looking at a "base model" car (stripper) or you could be looking at something loaded. You mention your are an aggressive driver... personally I would hold out for a low-mile 6-speed car. But, that's my preferrence.

Any idea what the suspension is? FE1, FX3 ... Z07?

As a newbie, I need a few peices of info. I don't think I am going to pass this '92 up unless there was seriously something wrong with them.

There is nothing seriously wrong, or painful about a 92 whatsover.

Here is a link to the suspension options for C4 years....

http://vettenet.org/susp_chart.html

I've found that it's the first year that LT1 comes standard. I would like to know how many ponies that makes, what the 1/4 mile is, and some other standard mechanical info (this '92 is automatic).
The 92 is 300HP. Very capable car. Although not set up to be a "drag racing" (more of an "all around race car" - road racing... etc - it's a trade off for the 170mph top speed) I've seen high 12 to mid 13 sec ET's. The variance is the result of different track altitudes, driver skill... etc.

A shorter gear in the back, and you can really wake up the car to be a street-light terror.

I didn't find what i was looking for in the "general c4 info forum" threads, unfortunately. I'd like to know the known problems, fixes, etc. (On the other hand, this is a new vette. Low miles doesn't begin to describe it).
Problems? Just typical problems with an 11 year old car. Original tires? Those will have to go.

Original shocks? Whether the car has 500 miles on it or not, the car has been sitting on them for 11 years and they'll need to go.

Also, be VERY VERY careful about cars with really low miles, or cars that have not been started frequently. The soft stuff can dry out, and there are a host of other issues.

Frankly, I'd stear away from ANY car with REALLY low miles... I'd never buy a C4 with less than 10k miles (my LT4 car had 11k miles, it was a 96, at the time it was 5 years old... and the motor wasn't even broken in yet!!! it now is....)

Another peice of required info is the easy/cheapest way to free up those first few ponies. Standard measures like computer chip programming, intake and exhaust mods, premufflers and intake mufflers and governors and stuff that shouldn't be in there!
Chip programming is only necessary when you do modifications that freak out the stock computer.

When modding a car, it's important to understand what combo's compliment each other and make the car crazy-fast. If you just do a "little of this" ... "little of that"... you'll never realize true benefit as if you had a plan and well-thought-out combos.

Here is a lot of reading, but it's good info on matching mods for max benefit.

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1853

A K&N filter with an aftermarket air box can benefit some on a stock motor, but help out quite a bit on a modified motor.

As for a ram air setup, I don't think you'll FEEL any gain, because it really doesn't start the help until high speeds are attained.

The exhaust is good mod. You might not feel or see a gain with the stock motor, but it'll really help other mods (headers) down the road. And, your car will SEEM faster because of the evil sound. The factory exhaust isn't a huge restriction. I picked up zero HP with Corsa's. And, I might have lost a little torque.

Here are some good threads for you to read:

LT1 and aftermarket cams...
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2017

Links and sites with LT1/LT4 info and mods discussions.
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1994

Matching mods for the best gains...
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1853

This site talks about an LT1 WS6 Trans Am and the mods... with dyno pulls after each mod! Very educational...
http://www.ws6.com/mycar.htm

Here's some LT1 technical information...
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1284

In my opinion, best bang for the buck is Nitrous.
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4162

Finally, i've looked at all of the pictures on the entire website and i can't tell one wheel from another. I want to know what 18"s would look like on the c4 stock height, and lowered a hair. Cant tell what is what though.

I found some replica Z06 18" wheels that i'd like to see on the c4, can't find that either. On the same topic, I would like to know the standard protocol for lowering the '92 c4-- spindle drop? spring drop? what type? need to change out shocks?
A C2 is CHEAP to lower. In the front, you cut the bushings or put in wedges - the wedges are $15. That's good for 99% of people, if you want to go lower you should get a coil-over suspension.

The rear can be lowered for $15.00 as well, longer bolts are all that is needed, you can lower the car at least 2" in the rear.

I know i got 50 questions and i haven't contributed anything to the forum but i promise if this place is cool i can help out quite a bit! I've been a car enthusiast forever and the vette belongs in my garage (i've waited patiently!).

Edit: ok i found lowering info:
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1331

wow that's a cheap and easy way to get a drop. especially since i have a car lift. that should be a breeze. i think 1" is more than enough drop with 18" rims. i like the rims to look like they are snug but not crowded in the well (don't know if you have any idea what i'm talking about!).
There are TONS AND TONS of cool 18" wheel combo's in the gallery. Maybe when you are ready to go wheel shopping you can start another thread and we can fill you with information.

Hopefully this info is enough to get you started. The 92/LT1 is a GREAT car. Like I said, I'd prefer a 6-speed, but that's my thing. You can get some GREAT additional power out of the car, but you need a plan.

Sorry if any of this is rambling, I just woke up and haven't had coffee....

Again, welcome to digitalcorvettes, and I hope we can welcome you to the Corvette family as well!:buhbye:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you so much for that response! incredible, truely. I was expecting "do a serch, newbie..." lol.

Ok to be honest I still don't know exactly what i'm looking at. This vette has 8500 miles. It doesn't look like a "grandma kept it in the garage and the engine turned to dust" vehicle. It looked like a "daddy rubbed it with a diaper every day" type of vette. I can't make out what options it has; it does have the dual roof panels option. Besides suspension, I don't know what other important standards there are (i usually put no less than $3000 into the sound system, so i really don't care that it comes with a cassette). I have been cruising a '96 grand AM with no power windows for the last 2 years (eek!)-- I think this is a step up! I must have an automatic; i like luxoury and speed (I just don't like manuals, period).

Since this vehicle is an hour's drive away, it's black, and it's a great price.. and i'm in california and licensing tripples in 30 days... I don't think the lack of an extra cup holder will stop me from buying it. There would have to be a true problem with it to make me change my mind. Even the suspension; not sure what the base model has, but I imagine it will do better than a grand cherokee on the turns! I will be putting 18's and dropping it a hair right off the bat. The "stance" is pretty fugly on those IMO (sorry!). I won't do serious performance mods for some time, because i think 300 ponies will keep me occupied for the time being! I would like to put an Amsoil bypass filter system on it, and redline water wetter and anything else that will keep her cool and her engine new! The final right off the bat mod will be a Clifford G5 solaris alarm system. Jeez i've already spent $15000 and i haven't left my computer yet!

Thanks again! i'll be scouring those links until i have them memorized!

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
look on the floor under the spot were the car sits,see if there's any leaks.sometimes super low mileage cars have leaking seal and gaskets from dry-rott.(can be fixed though).above comments are correct,intake,exhaust,.responds well to mods.low 13s is pretty good for a car that is not a great drag car.:thumbsup:
from a 30mph roll it's bitchen.the 6-speed car will be a hair faster than the auto.
my good friend Hawaiian Punch has a 91 that is slammed and has crome c5 rims,it's in the gallery.i'm sure you will have plenty questions,so see ya around.if it looks good,i would get it,i wonder if the a/c is still good....:smokin:

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Damn Patrick's been reading Grumpys posts too much:surprised

I don't think you will ever get a "do a serch newbie" response here. These guys are to smart and friendly for that.
I don't have much to add on what Patrick said just make sure to show us pics when you get it.

And WELCOME TO DIGITAL CORVETTE'S:excited:

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
It's black? Cool, here ya go...

Chrome a-mold (GS/ZR1 replica) 17" wheels

Unknown brand.

Silver painted a-mold (GS/ZR1 replica) 17" wheels

Black a-mold 1996 GS 17" wheels

Unknown brand.

18" CCW wheels

18" Mallett wheels (www.mallettcars.com)

American Racing 17" Torq Thrust 2 wheels

18" Fikse FM5 wheels

LOTS MORE! When you view the C4 gallery, choose "RANDOM" and you'll see lots of cool stuff....

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
iv'e always been a big fan of those mallets,until alexws6 put the new CCWs on there....:smokin:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the guy wants more than i'm offering him. just out of curiosity-- i don't know what kind of suspension he has.. but he has kept it like brand new and has it professionally detailed and serviced regularly.

just out of curiosity... how much should i offer him. assume that i like the fact that it's like brand new... but i'm not a sucker. i say 13,000 should be my top offer. is that too much, too little?

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
stabmaster said:
the guy wants more than i'm offering him. just out of curiosity-- i don't know what kind of suspension he has.. but he has kept it like brand new and has it professionally detailed and serviced regularly.

just out of curiosity... how much should i offer him. assume that i like the fact that it's like brand new... but i'm not a sucker. i say 13,000 should be my top offer. is that too much, too little?
Ah.... negotiation.

Well... how bad does he want to sell it? If the IRS is showing up tomorrow to collect then I'd offer him the 11k. But, I suspect 13-14k would be the right price point if he is just fishing for offers.

·
Registered
662 Posts
The Opti-spark unit was the subject of a low-key recall. Condensation problems caused the optics to cloud. Make sure the upgraded unit was installed. After this many years, I don't think even the emissions warranty (even here in CA) is still in effect and the unit was not cheap.

The valley gasket leaked oil, or seeped, or sweat, as Chevrolet defined it. A light coating of oil on the front of the oil pan was, as a result, normal but annoying. There was no final fix for that issue I am aware of. It was caused by the material they used (not your normal gasket material, it was a plastic composite that got pinched when it was installed) to seal the valley under the intake manifold. I would be surprised to find any '92 LT1 that did not have this problem. You can ignore it, oil loss is so insigificant it can be ignored (assuming you change oil every 3,000 miles).

Rear hatch actuating-pistons wear out from age, not necessarily use, and seem to last about 4 years before the hatch won't pop all the way open.

Look for a VIN # with a very high build sequence number (the last 5 digits of the VIN). There were 20,479 '92 models produced so the closer you get to that number the later the build date and the more running production changes the car will have (that's a good thing).

If the car has RPO FX3 or RPO Z07 and the shocks need to be replaced you are looking at substantial money. They have an electric motor on the top of the shock which controls the orifice size selection. You can replace them with anything you want but if you don't use the OE unit the OBD will sense the fact that they are not there and set a code and the "Service FX3 Soon" light will stay illuminated. Definitely a faux pas at Pebble Beach.

Your new DMV fee will be 2% of the value the DMV assigns to the vehicle. As an example, CA believes my '01 Z06 is worth $42,500. I know this must be true since my fee for next year would have been $850 had I not been fortunate to have my renewal occur 2 months prior to the deadline. One would hope I can sell it to the DMV at the value they compute when the C6 is GA.

Expect squeaks, rattles, and a certain degree of cowl-shake (the hood will move around the car's roll axis). Some cars make more noise than others. Some have better panel-fit than others. Welcome to the Corvette Lifestyle. If this is an issue, get the 8-series. Germans are fanatics about details.

If the car is equipped with RPO Z51 or RPO Z07 expect less suspension compliance and a firmer (but thorougly tolerable) ride. When you test drive the car, drive over some Bott's Dots on the freeway. They should jar the fillings in your teeth if it's a Z51/Z07. That's normal, and it's why Z51/Z07 owners don't change lanes frequently on the freeway. If the car has the base suspension (if it's an automatic the chances are good that it does) Bott's Dots are not an issue.

The LT1 has a very flat torque curve and produces prodigious amounts of torque at anything above idle. But it's better to have RPO G92 which is the 3.07:1 rear-end ratio. The stock ratio (2.73:1) will give you better gas mileage, at the expense of torque multiplication. If you're driving from Davis to the coast or the Sierra Nevada the 2.73:1 might help you keep money in your pocket instead of the oil companies, since either destination is a long drive from where you live. It's my understanding that both surfing and snowboarding in Davis leave a lot to be desired.

Save the wave, don't drink and drive, and always buckle-up. Remember, speed doesn't kill, it's the sudden stop.

Ray

·
Registered
990 Posts
:agree: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Buying first Vette

Look up the value on the Blue Book. Might give you something to start with.

Hope the sale goes your way, Dude.

Cajun:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts