Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be upgrading to a 1/2" line for my vette. Does anyone have pics of their fuel line routing , modifications to the fuel sending unit. Have not decided yet if I'm sticking to a mechanical or going electrical fuel pump. This is for a '74 vette getting a big block swap(498).

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
I will be installing a 1/2 inch line on my frame. Will be a few weeks before I get to that point however. I will be using an electric pump since the Gen V big blocks don't have a fuel pump boss.

Interested in seeing who else might post on this. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I will be upgrading to a 1/2" line for my vette. Does anyone have pics of their fuel line routing , modifications to the fuel sending unit. Have not decided yet if I'm sticking to a mechanical or going electrical fuel pump. This is for a '74 vette getting a big block swap(498).
After cooking several deadhead regulators mounted in the engine compartment, I went to 8AN SS overbraid line for supply and 6AN SS overbraid return on a bypass type regulator. It goes about where the original line went with no issues. 10 AN might get a bit tight, but probably doable. Sorry no photos.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I used 1/2 inch aluminum fuel line and a combination of AN and compression fittings. I did have to borrow a AN flaring tool. The good thing about aluminum is it bends easily. Once. It work hardens on the first bend. If you go the aluminum route, go slow, as the line will try to kink. Then you start over again.:laughing:

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
I used 1/2 inch aluminum fuel line and a combination of AN and compression fittings. I did have to borrow a AN flaring tool. The good thing about aluminum is it bends easily. Once. It work hardens on the first bend. If you go the aluminum route, go slow, as the line will try to kink. Then you start over again.:laughing:
Good advice !!:thumbsup:

I have not decided whether to use aluminum or stainless. A friend of mine has been trying to talk me into using stainless, but that will drive up the cost. I have the AN flaring tools from when I did diesel work for a tug boat company. We used all AN fittings for fuel lines in the boats, mostly 3/4". I do have the 1/2" tools as well.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Al,

What size line are you running on your 496?

BTW, great videos from you lately at the track.

Fred
I'm still running the stock 3/8" fuel line and stock pick up. I run a Carter 170 mechanical pump and its swedged down to a 3/8" inlet (normally it uses a -10 :thud: ). Then I use -8 from the pump to a -8 filter and dual feed -8 carb fuel line. I do lose fuel pressure big time going down the track.....even on the chassis dyno I see pressure dropping at the carb even just through a pull but.....it hasn't really hurt it at the track yet....atleast I don't think so. It still gains 25 mph on the back half. its got to be getting close to draining the bowls though. My AFR is still holding steady mid 11s through the traps.

I would like to do the 1/2" Rob MCPerformance pick up and -10 black braided hose all the way to the mechanical pump, then -8 to the carb. I am not going to mess with it until it starts giving me problems....I am right on the verge though.

IMOP a 3/8" is plenty for 600hp....atleast on a C3 with C3 fuel lines..as long as you have a good pump and no 90* fittings on it.(which I do have)

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Thanks, Al. I wanted to see what someone who's really pushing their engine was doing. I have a 110gpm Holley pump, but that's the only upgrade I've done (and maybe all I need).

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Thanks, Al. I wanted to see what someone who's really pushing their engine was doing. I have a 110gpm Holley pump, but that's the only upgrade I've done (and maybe all I need).
Fred

This isn't a vette, and I haven't started the car yet, but I just finished this system that should be good to 1200 supercharged. The current motor will be around 850 to the flywheel, but I figured I only wanted to buy once. 12AN to pump, 10 an to regulator, and 12 an return.

I bought a kit from SME, most everything but the hoses and rubber coated clamps. I'll have to double check the rating, but I seem to remember him saying it would support 1200HP.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good replies :thumbsup:. I am going with 1/2 aluminum and still need to get the fittings. Don't know for sure but did I catch a break with my vette being a '74 and having the sending unit at the bottom? I have a holley blue pump put away in the garage that I can use and test out. But I am probably going with a mechanical pump.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've got a couple of pics from when I did mine but it's kind of hard to tell everything from them. I used a Holley electric pump and a Fram filter housing that live in the spare tire carrier hidden out of sight. The tank was sumped for the 1/2" outlet and the OEM sender became the 3/8" return. The fuel regulator/return is mounted on the passenger side fender well. The 1/2" supply line runs down the rail just like the stock one did except I used the black fabric covered line material under the car. Hope these help:

Test fit for layout:

final plumb:

Sumped tank:

Hidden fuel center where an 18" wheel will not fit:

If you look close you can see the regulator/return on the far fender well:

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Fred

This isn't a vette, and I haven't started the car yet, but I just finished this system that should be good to 1200 supercharged. The current motor will be around 850 to the flywheel, but I figured I only wanted to buy once. 12AN to pump, 10 an to regulator, and 12 an return.

I bought a kit from SME, most everything but the hoses and rubber coated clamps. I'll have to double check the rating, but I seem to remember him saying it would support 1200HP.
rtj,

Nice set-up, on the Camaro I take it. Still waiting on new 468. When that goes in, I'll see if I need to upgrade.

I'm not familiar with SME. Website?

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
rtj,

Nice set-up, on the Camaro I take it. Still waiting on new 468. When that goes in, I'll see if I need to upgrade.

I'm not familiar with SME. Website?
Steve Morris Engines, I plan to order a cam, lifters, springs, and rockers through him. He's know for his boosted cam design.

Check out his video page, some very high hp pump gas engines.

http://www.stevemorrisengines.com/

·
Registered
91 Posts
Where did you get the sump with the 1/2 inch fittings?
It's a Jegs weld in sump. I've seen them clocked 90 degrees but I think if you corner hard it would clear the fuel out of it since it is narrow. I had some baffles welded in on the inside to try to force the gas to stay in. The tank was etched & sealed after these pics were taken.

:cheers:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts