Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I start my car and put it in reverse to back up the ABS light comes on and a noise from the rear occurs. Sounds like a motor. Is it normal for a 91 vette to have the ABS cycle after every start?
I'm a new vette owner so I have a few questions. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
You need to get the codes from your ABS module....
Leaking Accumulator, leaking master cylinder (internal leak), weak pump or an HCU internal fault could all cause that...... CODE IS REQUIRED!!!

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
Dave K said:
Every time I start my car and put it in reverse to back up the ABS light comes on and a noise from the rear occurs. Sounds like a motor. Is it normal for a 91 vette to have the ABS cycle after every start?
I'm a new vette owner so I have a few questions. Thanks everyone.
This is NORMAL. the ABS Module is running a test, it will do this EVERY time you start the car and move it. Basically the ABS is conducting a Self-test to be sure everything is working Properly.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for easing my mind Jeff. I wasnt sure if this was normal. I mean the brakes work great. And I see no leaks of any kind. THis is jsut the first car I have driven with ABS that does that. Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
282 Posts
The test should happen in the same place every time you start off for the day, such as about 15 feet down your driveway for example. This tells you it is just the self-test but your ABS light should not come on...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you sure? Becaue my light comes on every time the test runs. It does turn on the say distance every time as well. But when the ABS test is running my light comes on. Then goes out when the test is finished.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
What year/model car?? If your ABS light is on for more than the bulb check there is a problem......Can you get the codes??

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a 91 vette. Again the light only goes on when the abs system test is one. This only happens when i put the car into drive after starting. The system cycles the abs light comes on then goes out after the cycle.

·
Registered
282 Posts
My 88 usually does it in reverse as I tend to leave from the same place each morning. I don't think it does it every time I go to drive it and I don't think the light comes on after the crank test. I hadn't really paid a lot of attention though...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts