Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My C5 Corvette blows hot air when AC is on. I have replaced both actuators. Then it was low on freon after 2 cans of freon pressure up to 50 on the guage that came with the can. Compressor is kicking on the line going to condenser is hot the line going to evaporator is cold and wet. Thermometer inside car says outside temp is 84. I set AC to 60. I get hot air. Can someone please help me figure this out. It is unbearable to drive the car like this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My C5 Corvette blows hot air when AC is on. I have replaced both actuators. Then it was low on freon after 2 cans of freon pressure up to 50 on the guage that came with the can. Compressor is kicking on the line going to condenser is hot the line going to evaporator is cold and wet. Thermometer inside car says outside temp is 84. I set AC to 60. I get hot air. Can someone please help me figure this out. It is unbearable to drive the car like this.
Was the initial problem the not cooling issue? How do you know the system was low on refrigerant? Pressures are not an indication of system charge rates. Do you have actually pressures from both the high and low side or are you simply using the reading on the recharge can? What 'cans of freon' did you use? Most of the 'magic in a can' have approximately 18-20 oz of refrigerant. The system recharge rate is 28 ounces and if two cans were used this represents a serious overcharge of the system. This alone may result in a 'warm' discharge temperature. The low side pressure reading of 50 psi indicates that the system is not functioning. The compressor driver may be turning, but the compressor could be in minimal displacement due to the over charge. This is a variable displacement compressor and it adjust refrigerant output to maintain a given low pressure and the 50 psi far exceeds the specifications. The '50 psi' also indicates the temperature of the evaporator....the evap temp should be in the low to mid 30's.
Suggestion would be to take the car to a reputable AC shop and have the system serviced...have the refrigerant recovered, the system evacuated, and recharged to factory OE specifications. Once the system is properly recharged...then it will be possible to evaluate the system operation.
Have the system serviced...post results and assistance will be forth coming.
Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts