Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I've got a 76 vette with AFR heads and hooker sidemount headers. I'm running the stock pulley setup. I'm trying to upgrade the A6 compressor to a rotary one. I need to know the best bracket setup for this application. Thanks!

·
Registered
640 Posts
If the rest of your brackets are stock, the R4 brackets from a 78-82 are probably your best bet. I'm not sure what, if anything, else GM used those brackets on. My 77 was converted to run an R4 compressor that way.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the rest of your brackets are stock, the R4 brackets from a 78-82 are probably your best bet. I'm not sure what, if anything, else GM used those brackets on. My 77 was converted to run an R4 compressor that way.
That's what i was thinking. I'm just not sure if that setup will clear the headers:rolleyes:

·
Registered
640 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are Hooker sidemount headers. Any idea where I can buy a stock AC bracket kit?

·
Registered
287 Posts
You're screwed. There is no way to do what you are attempting.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anything is possible grasshopper;) Just look at your avatar. How in the hell anybody physically got those wheels to fit on your car, and the fact that someone (obviously you) thought they looked good, proves my point:D

·
Registered
287 Posts
Anything is possible grasshopper;) Just look at your avatar. How in the hell anybody physically got those wheels to fit on your car, and the fact that someone (obviously you) thought they looked good, proves my point:D
I don't understand. They are American Racing Torque Thrust II's. I know plenty of guys that are running them on C3's. I think they are very nice looking. Why do you feel like you need to be so belligerent?
:rolling:

·
Registered
640 Posts
They are Hooker sidemount headers. Any idea where I can buy a stock AC bracket kit?
There are a number of dealers in used parts - one of them could probably provide the brackets. The usual repop vendors might also have them, but I don't know who specifically might have what you need. One thing to keep in mind is that your A/C lines will have to be reworked for the R4.

I can't say with certainty how the Hookers might interfere, but I know that people have installed Hooker sidepipes on 78-82 cars, and I don't remember hearing about interference with the compressor. My experience with my 77 and its stock manifolds is that the compressor has a fair bit of separation from the manifolds.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:rolling:
photoshop.
So you're saying you intentionally made your car look like that using photoshop:WTF Man you may need serious help:surprised

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
All I can say is the best approach is a '88 up L98 vette pully setup, waterpump, etc.....and get done with it.....gotta get custom hoses at any rate, fought this update crap really hard some years ago, finally just went with custom hoses....about 8 years ago I stumbled upon a local place that actually made their own a/c hoses, had a great selection of fittings or could order anything, literally, and swaged it all on the spot....total cost less than 100 bux....that was about 8 years ago...

IMO, an R4 is a POS from the git go and there is NO reprieve....that thing toss a rod/piston and garbage out your system but good, and U B PISSED....

get one of those Oriental import compressors, built like the A6 internally but smaller....lighter....Christ, ANYTHING is lighter....freeking boat anchor...

but in testimony to the A6 overall durability....I understand i'ts still OEM on Big Rigs.....maybe still today....someone said you could compress water with one of them....methinks they correct....

:laughing: :rolling: :D :cheers:

·
Registered
640 Posts
Gene, I was ordering my Aeroquip power steering/hydroboost line stuff from Summit yesterday, and stumbled across something interesting. Aeroquip now has A/C line parts, just like their other high-pressure lines. The parts aren't cheap, but now we can even build our own A/C lines... :surprised

1 - 12 of 12 Posts