Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1981 Corvette. Can it be removed without pulling the front end off?? I would Like to make my A\C like new again with all new internals!! :thumbsup:. Getting ready to paint the engine bay also.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Remove all the bolts around the outside, there's one on the inside of the car too. It might be easier to split the case and take it out 1/2 at a time. It will come off pretty easily with the engine out. The sealer they used at the factory is some tough stuff, a putty knife to help cut that will help.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Remove all the bolts around the outside, there's one on the inside of the car too. It might be easier to split the case and take it out 1/2 at a time. It will come off pretty easily with the engine out. The sealer they used at the factory is some tough stuff, a putty knife to help cut that will help.

:agree: With the engine out removal is a snap.

Perimeter bolts, a couple insiders, hoses, and adhesive.

I did mine with the engine in the car...I had to force-split it, and managed to get it out.

That being said, aside from probably a huge collection of leaves and debris, your Evap is probably still in better shape than a replacement would be in.

Generally when re-doing an A/C system, the dryer and compressor are the weak links. A vacuum purge, flush, purge, and fill are all that it takes to get the A/C system working good assuming air flows properly through the condenser and Evap. Like I said, aside from leaves, your Evap should be fine.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Generally when re-doing an A/C system, the dryer and compressor are the weak links. A vacuum purge, flush, purge, and fill are all that it takes to get the A/C system working good assuming air flows properly through the condenser and Evap. Like I said, aside from leaves, your Evap should be fine.
sounds good, I think Ill just leave it alone LOL :thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts