Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Well, installed the new made in Taiwan compressor/vacuum switch and the temperature switch that goes under it. And even the new clear lens was a poor fit.
So I try it out... cars running, I move the slider from 'OFF to MAX AC and it's putting air out the floor vents (wtf).
So then I move the slider all the way over to the right 'defrost' and then back to MAX AC and it seems to work.
MAX AC to AC position doesn't seem to do the ' recirculate' in MAX position like it use to.
And now an alternator issue I'll start a new thread for.
When it rains it pours.😖

Attachments

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Sorry to say, not having a favorable experience dealing with Corvette Paramedics in NJ.
The owner is expecting me to pay $18.00 for a plastic rivet taken out of his new faulty vacuum switch and use the part in my original vacuum switch.
His AC/Heater compressor switch doesn't really have any 'stops' when you slide it from left to right... difficult to judge where exactly the lever is suppose to be.
Too bad we have to deal with subpar poor quality replacement parts for our cars... not many other options out there.

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Man hate to here that but there’s hope that you can cobble two together and get one that works. I know it’s a pain but it beats nothing. I’ve done sketchier things to make something work. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Hammer down forgive if this sounds strange I had my knee replaced Monday and the meds are messing with my head.
Go to Lowes or Home Depot and rummage through the furniture faster section. There are a lot of unique fasters in that section many are flush fitting. You might be able to hillbilly something together. I know it sounds crazy and like I said the meds are messing with My head. Keep an open mind and think outside the box.

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
I think their called button screws. Both the male and female look like a screw. The trick will be finding one the right diameter and length for your need. Have used them before a little blue lock tite and they hold quite well. What I’m really getting at is there has to be a fastener that will substitute for that plastic rivet. Don’t give up because you can’t get a direct replacement. Look around and find something that will work.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I think their called button screws. Both the male and female look like a screw. The trick will be finding one the right diameter and length for your need. Have used them before a little blue lock tite and they hold quite well. What I’m really getting at is there has to be a fastener that will substitute for that plastic rivet. Don’t give up because you can’t get a direct replacement. Look around and find something that will work.
With some small machine screw and matching nuts I can sandwich the switch/s together... however... when the TWO switches (AC compressor and vacuum) are in their bracket locations under the center console they are actually stacked like two pancakes. With the machine screws and nuts I don't think I have the clearance needed, but I'll take out what's in the dash again to see if it'll work. (banging head against wall)
Hey, hope your knee replacement heals well and you're pain free and have great movement.
In my near future I see a knee and left hip needing work.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Just showing how I can put the two switches back together using machine screws and nuts.
However, not sure 'if' there is the needed clearance once they are stacked ontop of each other in the switch housing.
I will visit Home Depot as suggested in a prior reply.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Message sent, thanks for the idea/s.
Hamerdown you might try a flathead stainless screw from RTL. They have them in small sizes. I have had success with something like this before, BUT, the countersink angle that has to be drilled in the plastic can cause cracking when tightening. Getting the correct countersink angle is important to prevent this. The most common countersink angle in US sizes is 82°, metric is 90°. There are many other angles but these are the most common. Do not use a drill bit to drill the countersink, it is the wrong angle and will cause the plastic to crack. The countersink bits are cheap and widely available. You have great tenacity, don't give up!

Tie Font Tool Screenshot Parallel

Font Rectangle Screenshot Parallel Web page

21 - 34 of 34 Posts