Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Accel coil on my car but hate the way it looks. I want to bring the distributor back to stock look. I took the white plastic cover off of the coil and it fits in the distributor perfectly along with the dust cover but it does not seem to lay 100% flat. The coil sits at a slight angle on top of the distributor cap. Does anyone think that this will be a problem?

·
Registered
117 Posts
If you have an HEI distributor, the coil typically lays in the cap pretty flat.
If it is cocked at an angle, it may not be making contact with something that it needs to.
Can you post a picture of how it sits?
If it doesnt fit quite right, there are quite a few companies, including Accel, that sell coils designed to fit a stock HEI with the stock cover.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
If you have an HEI distributor, the coil typically lays in the cap pretty flat.
If it is cocked at an angle, it may not be making contact with something that it needs to.
Can you post a picture of how it sits?
If it doesnt fit quite right, there are quite a few companies, including Accel, that sell coils designed to fit a stock HEI with the stock cover.

:agree: The Accel coil should lay flat as a stock one does.

Check to make sure it's installed correctly.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Accel coil lays at a very slight angle. I'm talking 1/16th of an inch. I noticed today that with the round rubber and spring installed that the dust cover does not fit properly. I'm thinking that the Accel coil is just not made to fit in a stock distributor cap.
On the standard coils there are three wires with the third being the ground. Where do I hook this third wire? It has a loop hole at the end of the wire?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
The ground goes under the coil at one of the bolt/screw holes and is grounded that way. When fastened down the wire is pressed against the metal layer which is the core itself and passes voltage/current through the metal to the "hook" which is where the middle wire connects from the three wires that are connected to the module. Hope that helps. I'm tired so if any info that I've typed is wrong someone correct it, but the info should be spot on:laughing::thumbsup: Have a good one:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
The Accel coil lays at a very slight angle. I'm talking 1/16th of an inch. I noticed today that with the round rubber and spring installed that the dust cover does not fit properly. I'm thinking that the Accel coil is just not made to fit in a stock distributor cap.
On the standard coils there are three wires with the third being the ground. Where do I hook this third wire? It has a loop hole at the end of the wire?

I agree, there is a slight variance. The OP might have more of an interference than that.

I've put an Accel coil under a stock cap and it sit flat, give or take the 1/16" variance.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ended up buying a stock coil. It fit perfectly. Am I going to notice a big difference in the stock over the Accel coil? I started it up and it seems to run fine. Am I going to be losing any power?
I brought it back to stock for a corvette show.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I ended up buying a stock coil. It fit perfectly. Am I going to notice a big difference in the stock over the Accel coil? I started it up and it seems to run fine. Am I going to be losing any power?
I brought it back to stock for a corvette show.

A stock HEI coil and distributor are fine for most applications, even warmed over a bit from stock.

Once you start getting near high performance, high compression, high RPM...you need a different ignition system.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts