Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jeff

I went home after the meeting and rechecked my timing (adv. 36 @ 3500rpms) Got it set to "0". Then I went to set the gap on the accelerator arm and I just don't understand this thing. The Holley Carb book says it should be .010 at idle and at full. How is that possible. If tighten it down to .010 then when I hit the throttle, it almost dies. Maybe I just don't understand the type of contact the accelerator arnm and the spring loaded screw is suppose to have. Still smells rich to me. I may have to actually have yopu show me how you do it ( at least the first time) Maybe I'm expecting too much out of this carburetor( after all we live in a fuel injected world!!)
Thanks for any help.

This website is going to be great for communicating with fellow club members.

I hope more of us will check it out and use it.

Dan, if you are reading this...I may have a couple of neighbors( with C3's) that might be interested in joining.

Later
Marc

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just Dropped a zz4 in the 72 had the same problem w a new holley 670 steet avenger carb, holley told me to look into the cab and adjust the accelerator pump so it start to spray gas immidiatlley when the linkgage moves. also i had the hose running from the air cleaner to the pcv valve interfearing with it. make sure there is no mechanical blockage to the movement
also don't expect a lot, had a 2004 c5 no compairison to respose , but like driving the c3 better

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know what you mean about liking to drive the C3 better. I thinks its a bit nostalgic and feels like what car driving use to be like .

I'll check for mechanical blockage...That hose does come pretty close to that area and thi ngs are kind of tight!

Thanks

Marc

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Jeff

I went home after the meeting and rechecked my timing (adv. 36 @ 3500rpms) Got it set to "0". Then I went to set the gap on the accelerator arm and I just don't understand this thing. The Holley Carb book says it should be .010 at idle and at full. How is that possible. If tighten it down to .010 then when I hit the throttle, it almost dies. Maybe I just don't understand the type of contact the accelerator arnm and the spring loaded screw is suppose to have. Still smells rich to me. I may have to actually have yopu show me how you do it ( at least the first time) Maybe I'm expecting too much out of this carburetor( after all we live in a fuel injected world!!)
Thanks for any help.

This website is going to be great for communicating with fellow club members.

I hope more of us will check it out and use it.

Dan, if you are reading this...I may have a couple of neighbors( with C3's) that might be interested in joining.

Later
Marc
Timing could be bumped up a little to like 36 degrees at 3000. What do you mean by set to "0"? Set with an adjustable light? 36 on the dial with 0 on the timing tab on the front cover of the engine? The accelerator linkage should be set just a small gap so the lever to the pump isn't under tension at idle. You want it to start squirting fuel as soon as you move the throttle. If that's causing it to stall, you have something else going on. Have you set your idle mixture with a vacuum gauge? Are your float levels right? Don't under-estimate what a carb can do versus fuel injection. Set up right, a carb can give great results.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts