Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This yellow 1973 Corvette crashed into the Quality Inn and Suites on Marketview Drive in Champaign, Illinois late Tuesday morning. Police say the 17-year old driver hit a curb, overcorrected his steering and crossed into the oncoming lane of traffic before whacking the side of the hotel. Although the hotel was structurally sound following the accident, the same can’t be said for the C3 Corvette. The driver was issued a ticket for improper lane usage.

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2011...s&utm_medium=forum&utm_content=010511_c3crash

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Hmm...the impact knocked the rear bumpers off. Whoops.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Wow a 17 year Old Driving that Vette!!!!... I am the only one that Drives mine...

I think we're assuming too much based on his age. Yeah, he lacks driving experience. That's obvious.

I owned two 1977 Corvettes by the time I was 18. I saved and bought both for cash. Then I started working on them. I bought my 3rd at 19...that's the same one I still have today.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Something I heard in a movie comes to mind "My dad's a TV repairman and he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it" At least nobody was hurt.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I think everyone is also assuming he was allowed to drive it. :spanked: :laughing:

With his losing control, sounds a lot like someone was taking dad's car out for a spin while he was gone. Says he crossed lanes of oncoming traffic, jumped a curb and slammed into a building. If the kid restored it, I think he would handle oversteer and loss of traction better. I did when I was a kid (17)....350 olds rocket, 403 heads, all squeezed into a '81 Regal, 373 Auburn limited slip, 10.5" tires in the rear that hardly could hookup, and always broke loose at 45mph, when the B&M transpak shifted.
I skated on black ice many a time with the car, during Wisconsin winters, and 6" wide tires.

I think this was a kid who didn't know how to pry the pedal from the floor......(think panic......slam foot down.....swing steering wheel wildly.....omg, what have I done).

I think someone went by and grabbed those chrome rear bumper guards! :thud:

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
No way of knowing from the article if he was driving like an idiot or even had a mechanical failure. I don't mind a young kid having a Corvette if he respects the power of the vehicle. I had my first one at 17. $4800 worth of bagging groceries. Wish I had kept that one.

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
Always sad to see another crashed up classic vette but if you drive them it's a risk you take. Hopefully it was either this 17 year olds car or he had prior permission from the owner, otherwise...:nuts:

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
We can rebuild it..
Make it better....
Faster.... (Queue 6 million Dollar Man Theme)

·
Registered
11,227 Posts
...."At a curve in the road, he hit a curb with his front tire and overcorrected his steering"

........hold your horses here, if the kid hit the curb...overcorrected...... why in hell are you going to give
him a ticket for improper lane usage...wtf is this...I don't beleive he had any
intention to use the on coming traffic lane .....:WTF

This yellow 1973 Corvette crashed into the Quality Inn and Suites on Marketview Drive in Champaign, Illinois late Tuesday morning. Police say the 17-year old driver hit a curb, overcorrected his steering and crossed into the oncoming lane of traffic before whacking the side of the hotel. Although the hotel was structurally sound following the accident, the same can’t be said for the C3 Corvette. The driver was issued a ticket for improper lane usage.

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2011...s&utm_medium=forum&utm_content=010511_c3crash

1 - 20 of 23 Posts