Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On initial start up the other morning my dash lit up like a Christmas Tree. I got the security code light, the active handling fishtailing little car light, the information center flashed service active handling, service tire sensors, check tire pressure, service vehcile soon, do not exceed 80 MPH and some other information that I can't remember at the moment. These codes flashed all the way to work. I borrowed a tire guage from a coworker and went out and checked the pressure thinking maybe one of the runflats was. All the pressures were within specs. I restarted the car to take it to the dealer and everything was fine, no trouble codes no flashing lights. I've read that the active handling sometimes during cold weather startups will flash a warning that active handling is warming up but I never got that message. The temps got down in the low twenties overnight but it was close to thirty five degrees when I left for work. Anyone have this experience or know what may have caused it?:huh:

·
Extra Crispy
5,119 Posts
I had a 99' do this once. Shut off and restarted and every thing was fine. Took it in to be checked-out, they says that this is a common thing. Told me not to worry. It has a power surge or smething.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a typical dealership answer. That's why I thought I'd pick the brains of the DC Crew before taking it to the dealer.

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
You could look to see if you got any codes, not that it would help much. I suspect it is a power related "freak". Defintly take it to dealer at least to document any problems. If it happens again, I'd try to keep it running with everything lit an stop by dealer so they can see that you really did experience it. You know the excuse...we couldn't duplicate the problem you described.?
Good Luck, let us know what "they" find.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I gave in and took the car to the dealer. This is exactly what the repair order said when I picked up the car a day later, Scan remove 32 body codes trace to find harness power connection loss right front door control module repair terminals contact in R/F door harness cleaned connectors ok at this time clear codes ok, So far the problem hasn't repeated itself but I have a suspicion that the dealer is just blowing smoke up my ass on this one.

·
Obsessive Customizer
535 Posts
I have a '00 that does something similiar. For about 15-20 starts the DIC shows Tire Sensor, Active handling and ABS problems. But then it will not do it for about 5-10 more starts. Then starts all over again. The dealer can't find the problem. The power surge is a thought though. May need to take it back and have them check the harness. There was a Wiring Harness Inspection Recommendation issued in Jan 03 (03-06-04-012).

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have had that happen on occasion, not to the extent you describe with the security lights flashing and all,[tire pressure etc] and I was told it was a voltage spike by the dealership. They reasoned that it was a voltage spike because the DIC held no stored codes relating to the Active Handling System. They also said it could be caused be my gas gauge malfunction which happens on a regular basis,they have worked on it also but it keeps popping up. When the gauge goes to empty suddenly I know I have 6 gallons of fuel left,it always takes around 12 gallons to fill it,hit the reset and I am good to go until I burn the 12 gallons and it does it again although not every time. There is a way to check for stored trouble codes,I believe you turn to key on but don't start the engine, hit reset, hold options button and hit the fuel button 4 times. That may not be right,I think it is,they wrote it down along with the codes I should look for relating to the handling system,but I can't find the paper.I do remember if it shows a code followed by the letter H it is not a problem at the present time, but if it shows a code followed by the letter C it is an ongoing problem. At least that is how I remember it,could be off a little but I believe thats right. Mainly I just drive it and ignore trouble codes unless I need to be brought home on a wrecker which hasn't happened yet but is always on the back of my mind. My wife calls that apprehension 'That great GM feeling'.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts