Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My C5 is an export version which means from the factory it did NOT come with run flats or tire pressure monitors. Also some other variations such as no DRLs and different tail lighting to comply with other country regulations.

My question is, I need 4 new tires and finding matching tread patterns for front and rear is difficult without the stock run flats. I'm more then happy with the stock tires ( i'm not a hoon) but without Tire pressure monitors, i'm advised against run flats as i wont know if i get a puncture.

Is adding tpms a massive hassle/not worth it?

My only options here in NZ are michlin or perelli that are NOT run flats.

Oddly enough i can get the stock run flats easily

·
You've been pimped!!
15,297 Posts
I thought it could be activated via a computer reprogramming. Some guys with Z06s have allegedly done it.

·
You've been pimped!!
15,297 Posts
Wait Junk, post 3 and 8 say opposite things I think ????

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Stop being the bearer of bad news :lookinup::lookinup::lookinup:

lol seriously though, without sounding like a d1ck, how do you know this?
With all the technical writeup's that I have posted on the C5, do you seriously think that I haven't looked into this information? Don't you think that there have been TONS of people who wanted to run a type of wheel on their Vette that didn't compensate for the TPMS's and they got sick and tired of seeing their DIC's constantly complaining about all of their tires being flat? How about the guys who didn't want to pay for new TPMS's and wanted to tune them out completely? If you were to search this section of the forum alone I am POSITIVE that you will find multiple threads where that exact scenario has been posted and you will find someone else (or me) giving the same information.

I also use to post on the Corvette Forum. I have a thousand bookmarks on various issues and repairs pertaining to the C5 because this is the ONLY car that I care to work on. So this is one car that I know. Actually, it's the ONLY car that I know. Here's a bookmark that I have pertaining to this exact information. There's one guy in that thread who is no longer with us (Mr. Bill), who was VERY knowledgeable about this car and also has a TON of informative writeup's on this car. If there was any bad information in that thread, he would have corrected it. The guy now has a brick in his name located at the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, KY.

So with all the research that I have done on this matter and with the blessings of Mr. Bill, that's how I know. ;)

Wait Junk, post 3 and 8 say opposite things I think ????
It seems that way but what he asked was...

... Is adding tpms a massive hassle/not worth it?
To which I replied...

For your year car, yes. For 2001 and up, no.
I see where it looks confusing but looking at it this way makes more sense. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
With all the technical writeup's that I have posted on the C5, do you seriously think that I haven't looked into this information? Don't you think that there have been TONS of people who wanted to run a type of wheel on their Vette that didn't compensate for the TPMS's and they got sick and tired of seeing their DIC's constantly complaining about all of their tires being flat? How about the guys who didn't want to pay for new TPMS's and wanted to tune them out completely? If you were to search this section of the forum alone I am POSITIVE that you will find multiple threads where that exact scenario has been posted and you will find someone else (or me) giving the same information.

I also use to post on the Corvette Forum. I have a thousand bookmarks on various issues and repairs pertaining to the C5 because this is the ONLY car that I care to work on. So this is one car that I know. Actually, it's the ONLY car that I know. Here's a bookmark that I have pertaining to this exact information. There's one guy in that thread who is no longer with us (Mr. Bill), who was VERY knowledgeable about this car and also has a TON of informative writeup's on this car. If there was any bad information in that thread, he would have corrected it. The guy now has a brick in his name located at the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, KY.

So with all the research that I have done on this matter and with the blessings of Mr. Bill, that's how I know. ;)

It seems that way but what he asked was...

To which I replied...

I see where it looks confusing but looking at it this way makes more sense. :thumbsup:
Cheers for the info. I wasnt doubting you, more just interested into why.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts