Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking to replace the shocks i have now. The car is lowered extremely, and i have 96 spec z51 shocks now. Id like custom shocks if possible, or even coilovers but i hear theres issues with mounting. WHat are Hals?? ive heard them mentioned be4. ANy help would be appreciated. Im trying to get the shocks to stop 'lifting' a bit over dips in the road. I was debating cutting the bottoms off, chopping an inch off and welding them back on but... i dont think so.

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
HALs also known as QA1 make some very nice shocks.. they have some that are an OEM replacement and are 12 way adjustable.

If you want coilovers, you can buy the QA1 Proma stars along with a bunch of pieces and make your own kit.

I have the list of stuff at home. In fact, I need to replace my front spring soon and I would rather do all 4 corners with the Proma Stars and have the coilover set-up, this will also let me lower it a bit easier too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have seen threads saying the rear coilovers have clearance issues. is this true? is there anyone with a coil over setup.. thats what i want.

·
Registered
89 Posts
There are quite a few people that had done this conversion. Some with coilovers from EM and DRM and others like myself with QA1's. I got mine from Summit. Check out http://www.ndneyes.com/mo/coil.html also search for posts by LD85. LD85 has been extremely helpful to me when I did my conversion. I originally ordered the 12 in springs for the rear also but the interference with the lower dog bone bolt was to great to overcome by grinding the head of the bolt. The problem is that the bottom of the spring hits this bolt. I eventually went with a shorter 10in spring which allowed the spring to sit above the bolt and completely eliminated the clearance problem. On the front depending on the year of your vette you may or may not run into problems. Early vette's have very thin shock towers and are not very wide. On my 85 there was no way the QA1'ss would fit in the shock tower. I followed LD85's lead and cut off my towers and made up new ones. You can also count on having to relocate the front sway bar forward and may have to change the upper mounting point for the rear shocks. Also Ndneyes web site suggests getting stud adapters for the top of the rear QA1's. Since I was relocating the shock mount anyway, I made up new mounts so I could use a bolt for the shock to mount on rather than using a shaft/stud mount.
Lastly the difference between the QA1's and EM and DRM is that the QA1's have a larger diameter, 2.5 in I believe, which is why you have to do all fabrication with the QA1's and why these others are more of a bolt in. The cost of the 12 way adjustable Promastars is quite a bit less than the others but if you can't do the fabrication yourself that cost savings may not be worth it. Feel free to PM or email me. Others on this forum helped me do mine so I am very happy to pass on what I learned

·
Registered
872 Posts
What do you guys think about using the Bilstein sleeve kit? My car uses the VBP designed sport shocks 84 Z51 front/86 Z51 rear springs. Would the sleeve kit hold up to track day use and smooth some of the small bump harshness?

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
The QA1 dual adjustables are a bit more expensive.

About $275.00 each.

I have a set still in the box in my garage.:crazy:

Matt383

·
Registered
9 Posts
HALs also known as QA1 make some very nice shocks.. they have some that are an OEM replacement and are 12 way adjustable.

If you want coilovers, you can buy the QA1 Proma stars along with a bunch of pieces and make your own kit.

I have the list of stuff at home. In fact, I need to replace my front spring soon and I would rather do all 4 corners with the Proma Stars and have the coilover set-up, this will also let me lower it a bit easier too.
Jeff
looking forr poist tonight for guys installing coil overs and found this one

I got the turbos on the C4 and the extra 100 pounds up front I lost 2" of ground clearence and I am looking for a coil over soloution and taking out the leaf.

I am running QA1 on rear already with the solid axle so I started assembling the QA1 list for the front

What I have come up with is this
HAL-BAR350K
HAL-10-600
HAL-SS110SDM
HAL-4855P

Have you done this to the front of either of your C4's?
If yes, could you shoot me some [email protected]
and any clearencing? issues?
thanks

John

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
John,

I will post here and email you..

I did Coilovers on my ZR-1, but I used the FX3 OEM shocks and put coilover kits on them, essentially the same thing.

All I can offer is that I used 10" springs with a 425 rate. the LT5 is heavier the LT1\L98 so the 425 fit and it is what DRM used.

For clearance the front sway bar mounts need to go forward 3/4" and end link brackets need to be modded.

Also the tower need to be wider (easy) to clear the spring.

hope that helps:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts