Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find myself driving the vette at night a lot more these days since I have to take my daughter to kickboxing 2 nights a week. Even with silverstar bulbs I can't see more than about 10 feet in front of the car. Do the stock lights just suck this bad or are they maybe out of alignment?

·
Banned
591 Posts
Frankly , the stock one suck and it doesn't matter what bulb you use.
I know , been there
I have a drawer full of the old bulbs I tried
I give them to anyone who needs them that can use them when a bulb burns out .

There are options though
You can upgrade to the H-4 European type ( the option I chose) or go HID
( which was not available when I upgraded)

I've stuck with the H-4's because they offer ( for me ) more wattage options and my GSXR uses the same bulbs.

·
Premium Member
6,667 Posts
Yes, the lights leave something to be desired for sure.
Have you lowered your car?
You might try an alignment either way.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I upgraded my foglights to HID and frankly I don't even need my headlights any more.

·
Banned
591 Posts
I upgraded my foglights to HID and frankly I don't even need my headlights any more.
if you use your fog's for driving lights , what do you use in the fog ?

·
Registered
248 Posts
One thing I would check is that the bulbs are seated correctly, Been there and done that, If the bulbs are not seated right they will shine low like you are saying, It took me a few try before I got the bulbs in right, Once installed right the silver stars did great, I just upgraded to ACA Projectors yesterday, I really like the new look and the new light. So make sure you have all 3 tabs on the bulb in the correct spot and seated..
Bill

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
The HID's are the overwhelming choice for guys who want to upgrade their lights so that they can actually see. You have to adjust them properly so that you don't blind oncoming traffic, which is easy to do but can turn into another thread all by itself if you break the adjusting rod. Here's a video that starts out with me driving with my high beams on. Then you see me switch to my LOW BEAM HID's. Notice the flood of light that appears. Pay no attention to Michael Savage. He can be a nut sometimes.

In this next video, you can see how the lights look from outside the car. Notice how the lights on the surrounding cars disappear when they flood into my lights. My output is clearly more dominate. My girlfriend is driving and drifting all over the lane. She wonders why I never let her drive my cars. :rolleyes:

I did a write-up on my installation. In the write-up, you'll see that I also added a powered harness into my configuration (not mandatory), to assist with an issue of the lights failing to raise every once in a while when I first turned them on. You would have to turn them back off and then on again to make them raise. They always raised on the second attempt.

Jonathan at JWMotoring (forum vendor), sells the kits. Very affordable and he stands behind every kit he sells.

I also did my fog lights too. Here's a shot of nothing but the fog lights on:

Here's a shot of the low beams on:

You can clearly see that my lights are adjusted as to not blind oncoming traffic.

I have since changed my headlights again and went to light cannons. They are technically "legal" because the HID's are in a HID enclosure.

The bulb type HID's as I talked about at the beginning of this post are technically NOT legal but I have never heard of anyone getting pulled over for them. The exception to this is the fog lights. That is a HID enclosure and it is legal to put HID's inside those enclosures. If you have your lights adjusted wrong, you will get flashed by oncoming traffic. That could also give a LEO a reason to pull you over.

·
Banned
591 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
You can see from the shot of my fogs against my garage door that they do put out plenty of light. You can use them in the fog also as they are not shooting the light up in the air (which would cause you to see more fog), and they have a very distinctive cut off that makes them ideal in fog.

·
Banned
591 Posts
uh , no :crazy:
you do not want bright lights in fog , no matter what you say:rolling:

·
Banned
591 Posts
bright lights in fog do not work better
period

·
Banned
591 Posts
:rolling::rolling::rolling:

·
Banned
1,633 Posts
uh , no :crazy:
you do not want bright lights in fog , no matter what you say:rolling:
I agree ,If you use bright lights in fog and you get blinded.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I started looking on the net for HID kits. What are the opinions of the plug in kits? Not full projector lamps just hid lighting in the oem light casing. Looks like for under 200.00 I can upgrade to those with the relay kit.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
I started looking on the net for HID kits. What are the opinions of the plug in kits? Not full projector lamps just hid lighting in the oem light casing. Looks like for under 200.00 I can upgrade to those with the relay kit.
You have to be extremely careful who you buy from. There are a lot of crap kits out there. I only know of one eBay dealer who I would trust and then there's Jonathan at JWMotoring who just happens to be a forum vendor. Jonathan speaks ENGLISH and is very easy to deal with. He stands behind every purchase you make from him. That's the route I would go. Forget taking a crap shoot.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts