Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DC Crew,

We've got some advertisers that are DYING to advertise here and get their companies/products known. Good stuff too.

We could use the money, new server might be needed sooner than we think.

If we had "advertisers" not supporting vendors, tuners, sponsors or any of the politics generating crap and associated bullshit...

... would you guys be ok with that?

Feedback please....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
what's the difference between a sponser, and a advertiser.?:(
i suppose if you need to do it,it should be done.none of us/or me anyway have any idea what you pay and time invested in a site like this.
if it need's to be done,you have my support.:thumbsup:
honestly,no sponsor/vendor's is one thing that make's this forum speacial,but at the same time,would probably have no negitive impact,as long as you could ban there ass if needed.....:nuts: :buhbye:

·
DC Crew
1,470 Posts
Do we have to bow down to the corporate masters?

Can't we try a donation route?

I am sure a lot of the DC crew can chip in something.

·
DC Crew
3,723 Posts
Kod_X said:
...Can't we try a donation route?

I'm in favor of this approach as well. Others may not be. But this site shouldn't have to be your personal money pit. If you wanted that, you could buy a boat!
So, if advertising seems to be the better solution for the members, then I can support that as well.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
I would guess that advertisers would have a banner or a "advertising" page, but we still be allowed (unlike other places) to mention other places to do business with.

Would that be a correct statement Patrick?

If so, I would say yes...

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ChiMan said:
I would guess that advertisers would have a banner or a "advertising" page, but we still be allowed (unlike other places) to mention other places to do business with.

Would that be a correct statement Patrick?

If so, I would say yes...
Correct, Craig.

An "advertiser" would be a banner add in a cool spot that would tie into our theme perfectly. Imagine it to be the same as an ad in the back of Corvette Fever magazine.

I will design all the ads so they go perfectly with the forum layout.

You will STILL be able to talk about other places to do businesses with.

You will STILL be able to talk freely about other companies.

Like I said, no bullshit.

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kod_X said:
Hell no. Members are first, and first always. Period. Nothing will change that.

Advertisers will help us stock up on $$$ for a big fat Dell server for next March.:thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hawaii-5-lo said:
what's the difference between a sponser, and a advertiser.?
A sponsor is similar to the "sponsor" or main contributor of a NASCAR team. It pays for a portion of the car and expenses in return for advertising time and visibility. Equate that to a web site.

An advertiser has no affiliation with the web site, but just pays for their ads to call attention so you'll want to check them out. Just like the ads in the back of Corvette Fever magazine.

SPONSORS:whip:

ADVERTISERS:thumbsup:

I'd rather take their money instead of yours.

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bkuper said:
I'm in favor of this approach as well. Others may not be. But this site shouldn't have to be your personal money pit. If you wanted that, you could buy a boat!
So, if advertising seems to be the better solution for the members, then I can support that as well.
There is one flaw with digitalcorvettes. No place to learn about NEW products or new aftermarket companies to consider.

If I saw a "Baer Brakes" ad, I'd click on it just to see what new stuff they have. No harm. If you think their stuff sucks, jump in the forums and start ranting.

:laughing:

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kod_X said:

Can't we try a donation route?

You know, I just get a weird feeling about taking money from folks here.

What if you donate money, then act like an idiot and when I send you a nasty PM you'll use the "Hey, I donated $100 to this place, why you hassling me?" Even worse if they get banned.

So.... I have my reservations.

·
DC Crew
1,470 Posts
Patrick96LT4 said:
You know, I just get a weird feeling about taking money from folks here.

What if you donate money, then act like an idiot and when I send you a nasty PM you'll use the "Hey, I donated $100 to this place, why you hassling me?" Even worse if they get banned.

So.... I have my reservations.

I see your point.

If we can speak our minds on products and companies.. it does look like a good idea.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The add idea would be a good route, if the people approached you first that means you can set the rules. So just a banner on the page will not harm anyone, and to keep this site going that is worth it.

·
DC Crew
4,823 Posts
Sounds like a good idea! As you won't allow them to change the "flavor" of DC it sounds like a win-win situation.

I was going to suggest donations also but you bring up a great point. Bring on the banner ads :D

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
Either way works for me. Donations or ads, just so you are able to keep the forum going.

Ads do sound like the way to go, possibly a way to get even more information.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Pat,

As others have said, I think you have done a great job so far in making this the best Corvette Forum on the net, no exceptions.

Since your judgement regarding the site to date has been flawless, I believe your judgement in this proposal will ensure the continued high quality of the forum.

I will support whichever path you elect to take.

:D :D

What do you think guys....... did I do a good job sucking up to the Boss???

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Pat;

I realize the time, effort, and cost it takes to maintain a forum such as this having done so myself years ago. Reliable server space on a good T-1 connection gets costly as space needs to be increased. I'd say go with the advertisers as long as we can keep the same great format we now have.
PLEASE, PLEASE, don't turn this place into another CF!:down:

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,545 Posts
Brian,--64vette-- You spoke my sentiments exactly. Pat had a good vision and followed through with it. Digitalcorvette is about the people. The fun comes from the core of the site. It would be okay if we had advertisers as long as the people still generated the flavor of digitalcorvettes. Bottom line is that advertisers pay the bills. DC might loose a few people, but they would be the ones that aren't active anyway. Companies advertise to let the public(that's us at digitalcorvetts) know about new products and services and about special prices. All of us look at ads for this reason. I say if Pat decides the time is right for it, then it should happen. If he decide that donations are in order, I support that also. - Greg

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
I like this place, if keeping it going means advertising revenues are needed then so be it. Patrick, the decision is ultimately yours, donations yeah nice idea but a constant income is what is needed not a donation whenever we feel like it.

If anyone looks at the for sale section there really isn't a lot going on. If anyone here now needs to find goods for sale new used or otherwise, I would venture a guess that most go to CF or Action to find a link anyway, sooo why would you or why would we the users, those who profess that we like this place , want to have to go somewhere else for that link?

Take the money and either create a column on the side or a section per vendor.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts