Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all, I am fleeing my former forum due to Flash promos and hope to find a new home here like Paul67 below. Thanks for having me...:thumbsup:

I look forward to a great deal of useful interchange:partyon:

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Greetings all, I am fleeing my former forum due to Flash promos and hope to find a new home here like Paul67 below. Thanks for having me...:thumbsup:

I look forward to a great deal of useful interchange:partyon:
Way cool car. Welcome:thumbsup:

·
Registered
176 Posts
hey, i recognize your avatar, another C1/C2 defectee. ive been here 2 days, your a nOOb. :rolling: :rolling: i thought C1/C2 would stay pretty much intact. from my count thats 4 of us so far (paul 67, wolfe, you and me) that have joined. welcome bra!!! a lot of defectees are hanging out in lizard lounge (the OT crowd). WOEII even joined :smack , yea mang!!! we need to increase traffic over here. the saying that seems to be catching on is " you got dale'd ". :rolling: :rolling: anyway, welcome, seems to be a great bunch of guys here.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the welcome guys:laughing:

I got more than Dale'd, the local Chev dealer's ad popped up in a thread indicating that they are mining your IP address.. not to cool methinks, I hate target ads :crazy:

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've blocked the ads but the whole episode has left a bad taste in my mouth. I may post sporadically there if someone needs help and I can contribute.

What is "mining" an IP address?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thanks for the welcome guys:laughing:

I got more than Dale'd, the local Chev dealer's ad popped up in a thread indicating that they are mining your IP address.. not to cool methinks, I hate target ads :crazy:
really???:surprised :surprised :surprised

paul, i think what he means is they are trying to get your internet provider address so they can stick adds in your email as if putting them in threads is not bad enough.:rolling: :rolling: I**B be sellin out the members bigtime. :smack :smack :smack

·
Registered
176 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Paul - mining an IP address is using a lookup table to figure out where you are and then targetting you with all kinds of stuff ad-wise that you don't want. That was a good place to hang, this is better- they have a sense of humour ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is the email I sent:

Sirs/Madam

I joined the Corvette forum a year ago because I felt that a free flow of information was a good thing vis-a-vis maintaining a more than 40 year old vehicle. I believed then , as I do now that it is important to support and pay for those things that I find useful unlike many others who just feel justified in some way to not pay their share. When I sent my $200- to help with the expenses I had no inkling that this was becoming a commercial venture that would be a for profit website. I have been duped into spending my money to help support a large enterprise that can claim poverty cases like Roger Penske as board members. Thanks. By the way, why would I want to buy a Saturn from Roger here in Scottsdale and why would you ever think that I would? That is the ad that I now see... Targetted ads can miss slightly or by a long way - what do you suppose has happened here? I put a call into the dealer telling them what they can do with their ads.

Thanks for creating all of this animosity and splintering the group. Maybe I can help Roger with the fuel on his ALMS Porsche? Does $200- help?

Warmest Regards

Stephen Mulvey
Tintin

That is all I have on that topic - now to have some fun and learn some tricks and tips over here! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have just been reading over at "the other site" and looks like a lot of people are getting banned for 30 days and indefinately and without warning. That pretty much leaves a really bad taste in my mouth for that site. I think I am here to stay, I just hope everyone abandons ship and comes here. Duntov-097 got banned and who knows who else. I am sure CTJackster is next after his last post..LOL.

·
Registered
879 Posts
The hell with CF, you can get banned for thinking or having an opposing opinion over there.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have just been reading over at "the other site" and looks like a lot of people are getting banned for 30 days and indefinately and without warning. That pretty much leaves a really bad taste in my mouth for that site. I think I am here to stay, I just hope everyone abandons ship and comes here. Duntov-097 got banned and who knows who else. I am sure CTJackster is next after his last post..LOL.
thats 7 now if i count right, hi sean. i liked duntov-097, can you email him and invite him in??? :thumbsup:

7 out of C2 that is.

·
Mt. Olympus' Bouncer
335 Posts
Paul - mining an IP address is using a lookup table to figure out where you are and then targetting you with all kinds of stuff ad-wise that you don't want. That was a good place to hang, this is better- they have a sense of humour ;)
well... it means it shows you advertising based on the city/state of the owner of the IP address (your isp, not you.)

It's not a security threat or privacy threat in any way shape or form. You just see local ads instead of global ones.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well... it means it shows you advertising based on the city/state of the owner of the IP address (your isp, not you.)

It's not a security threat or privacy threat in any way shape or form. You just see local ads instead of global ones.

I did not say it was a security threat old chap, I said it targets you on location and perhaps more. There are many software packages you can buy that also keep a file on your ip and can attach that to your login name and thus whatever is in your profile. I have a friend who runs an online business that can identify each of his customers the moment they enter his website by name, address, previous spending patterns, credit limit, past due billing etc. He does it to track their intrests and then has ads and banners that reflect them .

Every time you click an online ad on a website you log into, you leave a trail that is directly linked to you. This is not rare or unusual, many of my customers use these packages as well to track their "working from home" employees that maybe are in Hawaii instead of Des Moines or wherever.

My former Corvette group will do exactly the same thing and they have your login to see who you are. When I enter that site with cleared Internet data and do not log in I get generic ads. When I log in the ads are for businesses that are less than 10 miles from my home. As I live in the largest physical urban area in the US (9000 square miles) this should only be possible with the aforementioned software. The people who bought that board are not stupid or amateurs, they know how to sell. Some , like Roger Penske, combine sales and ruthlessness in one package...

I spent 29 years in the IT world before I got a real job...:laughing:

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have been a member of both forums. But I have always used the other forum. And while I have developed a personal filter for all ads, I do know what you mean. They are BS. It would be OK with me if they were offering something of clear value. Like "Digital Corvette Members save 30%, click here".
The BS censorship on the other forum is quite real. Just try saying something negative about one of the ad vendors. Your post will vanish and you may too. :WTF

I like this forum because C1 and C2s are not lumped together.

I'll stop using the other forum, starting now.
But should this site become like the "other", I'll host a new forum for free and ad free..... :cheers:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Right, it saves cookies on your system.

What did you move to after IT?
That software actually stores your IP address and cross references a database where you have identified yourself, like logging in here...

I own a telecom construction company now, different headaches but they are mine..:lookinup:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts