Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
please can you give me some advice i have pulled the motor out of my 87 vet because the head gasket was leaking. now that i have the motor out i am going to rebuild it but was thinking of upgrading the motor say mild cam, balance and a little head work,

the questions i have is what is the best option with out effecting the computer?

thanks

Dave

·
Super Moderator
8,488 Posts
IM NOT aware of your budgets limits but by FAR the best return on invested money in hp will be a decent set of heads and a mild cam, personally ID bite the bullet on cost and get one of these three choices. yes you COULD work on the existing heads BUT they will NEVER come close to the flow and power potential of the better after market heads

AIR FLOW RESEARCH 195CC heads (about $1400)
BRODIX IK 200cc (about $1000)
TRICKFLOW 195cc (about $1000)

and match it to a good
CROWER,
CRANE,
LUNATI,
or
ERSON CAM
in the 208-212 intake durration ranges at .050 lift on a 112-114 LSA
and a set of 1.6 ratio roller rockers, and do some minor port clean-up on your plenum and intake

those changes can EASILY boost your hp 60-80 hp

http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~davis/z28/buildup/plenum/

http://www.sa-motorsports.com/diyport.aspx

BTW...a great time to install a 383 stroker kit that will easilly add approximately 40hp and 40 ft lbs of torque to anything you do to the engine due to increased displacement alone, but if you go that route get 10:1-10.5:1 cpr pistons, that will further increase combustion efficiency and tq and lower the average tq curve peak making the car more responsive/quicker , yeah, everthing listed works fine with the stock gearing and computer, and will pass emmission testing if its done correctly

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
Hi Dave,

grumpyvette is right on. All those will work well w/ the stock PROM. :thumbsup:

The same thing (head gasket) happened to my 87 and I went w/ the GM Hotcam kit. Yes the cam was a bit overkill while still using the stock heads and ported intake but they all worked together perfectly fine. I did have to reflash my PROM but that wasn't much, under $100. The cam is designed to let the engine breathe into the 6k rpm range. I was able to get into the low to mid 5k range w/ the ported intake manifold, runners and plenum while still using the stock throttle body. Also, I was able to pass the IL vehicle emission test w/ that cam, no pre-cats, AIR or EGR. :partyon:

I'm not saying this cam is the one for you, just voicing my experience w/ this similar situation. My goal was to get a nice set of heads and use the stealth ram intake to compliment the cam. I fell short of that goal when I ran too low on oil and blew the motor. :nuts:

-John

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi All

just to say that you guy's rock, i have been talking to an engine builder re your rcomendations (grumpyvette and John) just waiting for pricing ect. to see which of the mods best suit the budget

Will keep you all Posted

Cheers

David

·
Registered
234 Posts
I just broke my motor and posted earlier tonight with the same request. The hot cam might be a bit much for me ,... my wife drives the thing. She is a bit of a be-nine driver, sp? More hp will bring her tickets. I love the options everyone gives, my builder will have to dance around a bunch of questions now. Thanks. whats the word on comp cams, I like a mild idle and good milage.

·
Super Moderator
8,488 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I Know its been a long time in getting things done, but here is the update so far

Seats recovered and new carpets

Rebuilt 383 Stroker getting ready for install

Engine installed

Mid Section Exhaust

Exhaust installed

just got to finish the Weather Strips and the will probaly have to get the Chip retuned coming sooooon

thanks for Grumpyvet's help and advice

also thanks to Junkmans You Tube video on how to add pictures

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Wow that is all worth the wait. Nice.:thumbsup:
Will your wiper motor fit with those valve covers? How much longer till it's running? Love the center exhaust too.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Wow, she's lookin' :partyon: Any more pictures of the center exhaust. That just looks killer. Keep thinking about that myself.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I really like the exhaust! Who makes it? I have the same valve covers and had to modify my wiper motor to make them fit. Easy to do, requires a sheet aluminum cover to be built, relocate the old cover and run a flexible pushrod like for model airplanes. All functions are still usable. post pics where?

·
Super Moderator
8,488 Posts
how about listing the parts used in your 383 engine and give us an idea how you think it turned out?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Guys

thanks for the comments i will try to answer them all here

1. Exhaust a friend and myself made exhaust usinf 3" stainless steel tube Magnaflow hi flow cats and mufflers all tig welded by my friend (cant wait to here it run)

2. did i have to modify my rocker cover yes had to trim the back a BIT

For Grumpyvette
see engine specs below please let me know what you think

Engine spec

383 stroker kit +30 thou bore
scat 9000 crank
10:1 compression
standard rods
full engine balance
210-215 110 lobe cam .462 int .470 ex lift
1.6 roller rocker set
Edlebrock Performer RPM 170cc and 70cc heads

·
Registered
312 Posts
I love my 383, I did change my injectors and I had my current TPIS chip re-flashed with the new mods and 30ib injectors from fic. The car is very torquey and will burn the tires all threw the gears...

Looks good man!!!

·
Super Moderator
8,488 Posts
well?
HOW DOES IT RUN IN COMPARISON TO THE ORIGINAL ENGINE??
WHAT IF ANYTHING WOULD YOU DO DIFFERENTLY?

·
Registered
728 Posts
Looks great :thumbsup:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Grumpy

I would have saved a little mor for a forged crank and I have a super ram but I can't get the mini ram out of my head...

Here's a good question Super ram or Mini ram??

1 - 17 of 17 Posts