Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, I am a new member looking for a c3 of some type. I have a 69 indy 500 pace car convertible, camaro, and am looking for a c3 for my wife. If any of you have any ideas of what to stay away from etc. I would appreciate any and all inf. you could give me. I appreciate the site and the expertise that obviously is here. thanks in advance, 69pacer

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
what exactly do you want? chrome bumper, rubber bumper, flat rear window, bubble glass ???

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
The '68 can get expensive, there are many 'one year only' parts... other year's parts fit just fine but are not "correct".... (if that's important to you)

Inspect the birdcage and the frame (especially at the kickups) for rust.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Go to a bookstore and look through the Corvette books and spend the money on several. Learn about them and you'll be better able to understand what you want to know, to ask, to look for, to discuss. Then begin looking at cars. Leave the checkbook at home.

Do NOT buy the first one, or even the sixth one you see. The more experience you get looking at them, combined with learning about them, the better able you'll be to know when you do find 'the one'. A good car next fall is infinately better than a POS this summer.

John

·
DC Crew
12,250 Posts
Go to a bookstore and look through the Corvette books and spend the money on several. Learn about them and you'll be better able to understand what you want to know, to ask, to look for, to discuss. Then begin looking at cars. Leave the checkbook at home.

Do NOT buy the first one, or even the sixth one you see. The more experience you get looking at them, combined with learning about them, the better able you'll be to know when you do find 'the one'. A good car next fall is infinately better than a POS this summer.

John
That is excelent advice! :thumbsup:

the rubber midyear flat backs are gaining about from 2 to 10% a year. I think they are sleepers and will bring big bucks in the next decade. The later bubble backs have more room. check our classifieds or check out http://www.usedcorvettesforsale.com/corvettes-for-sale-3.html for prices and what is available.

Good luck on your search bro! :thumbsup:

(You will wind up giving the camero to your wife and keeping the vette anyway! :cheers:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Buy the best you can afford.I allways buy turnkey.If it's a low mile org.you can be pretty sure bubba hasn't been there yet.Or a restored one.that way the guy that did the work will take the $$hit.We all know that you will never get out what you put in.I love these people that do this and wish I had the time and money but I don't.Buying one all done up you are spending your money up front.You know what you are getting.If this is for your wife,I might tend to the later 78-81.They were more comfortable and offered more bells and wistles..The big back window offeres more space for storage.The earler Vettes,68-77 were more of a raw stiff sports car if you know what I mean.And as for the big back window that some like to flame,remember the mid years were like that.Thats one of the reasons GM did that window was to pay homage to the mid years.Don't get me wrong,I'm not biased,I love all Vettes.C3's are my fav.Do your home work and do it again.I spent a year doing mine and I felt like I knew more about Vettes that most but not enough to jump right in.There is allways something to learn.I know.I've been into muscle care since they were new and have owned many.Right now besides my 82CE I have a 71 Z/28 4 speed that will scream.Very important,have someone look at the problem areas for rust.Good luck and remember the hunt is just as fun as the kill.:cheers:

·
Registered
26 Posts
That is excelent advice! :thumbsup:

the rubber midyear flat backs are gaining about from 2 to 10% a year. I think they are sleepers and will bring big bucks in the next decade. The later bubble backs have more room. check our classifieds or check out http://www.usedcorvettesforsale.com/corvettes-for-sale-3.html for prices and what is available.

Good luck on your search bro! :thumbsup:

(You will wind up giving the camero to your wife and keeping the vette anyway! :cheers:
CamAro,Sorry just pulling your chain:D

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
There is another option, find your local vette club, join, get to know the guys with sharks, and there is usually one guy who is clug guru....he knows more than the other guys about the cars, they look to him for advice/parts/service....

get to know him a bit, PAY HIM for his services looking at a car you have seen....if at all possible, arrange for a lift so to see undersides....

not knowing sharks one bit I paid Tony of Tony's vette shop in Maryland 150 bux for his 4 hours time to examin this '72 vert I have now.....I allready had seen the car....he signed off on it as being structurally sound...

it is....still....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
69pacer

You guys rock! I thank each and every one of you for taking the time to respond< I can see you guys really love your vettes! I always loved driving my pace car, and will never get rid of it, but the vettes sure got my attention! We have two twins, boys, 6 years of age, so I think for graduation a camaro and vette would be a good present! Again, thanks so much and i'll heed all of your advice. I was kinda partial to the smaller windows but there were some good points on the larger ones, I found a 78, the year i graduated, and it's white with tan leather, 82k miles, 2 owners, and they want 8900, it's sure a clean looking vehicle but I feel after reading some of the posts, that i should wait and learn a bit more about them before i fly 1000 miles for a car i can't see in person. again, thanks a bunch. 69 pacer

·
Registered
517 Posts
There will always be another one to come along. Learn as much as possible first. Heck, you know all the poop about old Camaros, 'Vettes are an even stranger breed yet. (Not necessarily better, unless of course you ask us, but --stranger!) Have patience, enjoy the learning, don't rush. It will pay off in the end, and you'll have a car you like instead of one you regret.

:thumbsup:

John

ps: If you want a more civilized road car look for later models. If you want a raw beast, look at earlier models. The C3 evolved (for better or worse) greatly in it's long lifespan.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Well, I have two and they are "money pits". Find one that has been raised in a dry climate (west coast). That way the rusty cage they are referring too might not exist. To inspect the cage you must remove the two kick panels under the dash on the floor. That is important because the windshield frame is bolted there. If that is rusted you can damned sure bet the floorpans and the frame is also. Check the frame first, if there is much rust under there it is a perty good indicator the rest of it is a rust bucket. E-bay has tons of them for sale because summer is coming upon us. Also try your local paper. Corvette Trader is another good place. There are tons of Corvettes out there for sale. Just don't over pay for one and then you cannot get the money back when you resell it. I would invest in a "Chromie". But they are not cheap unless you wanna go "Project" WIP. Both of mine are work in progress. It is a time consuming money hungry deal. The old hot rodder car guys will tell you straight up (Buy one Done). Best of luck in your search. If it is your first one be sure wifey likes it . :D

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Well, I have two and they are "money pits". Find one that has been raised in a dry climate (west coast). That way the rusty cage they are referring too might not exist. To inspect the cage you must remove the two kick panels under the dash on the floor. That is important because the windshield frame is bolted there. If that is rusted you can damned sure bet the floorpans and the frame is also. Check the frame first, if there is much rust under there it is a perty good indicator the rest of it is a rust bucket. E-bay has tons of them for sale because summer is coming upon us. Also try your local paper. Corvette Trader is another good place. There are tons of Corvettes out there for sale. Just don't over pay for one and then you cannot get the money back when you resell it. I would invest in a "Chromie". But they are not cheap unless you wanna go "Project" WIP. Both of mine are work in progress. It is a time consuming money hungry deal. The old hot rodder car guys will tell you straight up (Buy one Done). Best of luck in your search. If it is your first one be sure wifey likes it . :D
:agree: Good advice.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Have a large vocabulary of swear words at your disposal. You will need and use them when you work on it :laughing:
It's for your wife, so the mid-to-late 70s Vettes are a good choice.
They are NOT performance models and are more "personal luxury autos".
If you ever heard the Beach Boys song "No Go Showboat", that's a good description :) Pretty much any Mustang GT can blow their doors off. The engines are just Caprice engines. The cars got REAL heavy, which also made them real SLOW. You can get them pretty cheap, but don't go too cheap or it will spend more time being fixed than being driven. The chrome bumper cars are steadily going up in price. The 1/2 ass chrome/rubber bumper cars are okay because you can still get a 454 in them and they are more affodrable than the all-chrome cars. The rubber bumper cars actually seem to be dropping in price. That's why so many 16-year-old kids can afford to buy a Vette. :D

Dep

·
Registered
966 Posts
Hey Dep! Are you sayin' a 73 is "1/2 ass"? Them's fightin' words!!! :smack :smack
A '73 is like going to the beach and just putting one foot in the water. :laughing: :laughing:
Hey!!!!! I looked at the pics of your car and it looks like somebody stole your rear chrome bumper!!!! :surprised :surprised

Dep
P.S. And you can always come back with "at least my car is driveable". ;) :thumbsup:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yeah, all this talk about rubber bumpers and chrome bumpers! Everyone knows tht NO bumpers is the coolest. :laughing:

·
Registered
517 Posts
At least a '73 ain't trying to push that billboard of a front grill down the road:rolling:

John

1 - 20 of 23 Posts