Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to rebuild my steering box, bought the rebuild kit from Bairs. Disassembled my box today and cleaned it. There was no grease at all inside, just a little oil. I was hoping one of the steering experts could take a look at some pictures and let me know if anything looks like it shouldn't be reused in the rebuild.

One other question, I noticed when removing my box, that the steering column appears to be the 69 on style with the flat, but my box appears to be the earlier style box with the full round input shaft. Is this ok to mix with the right style rag joint?

·
Supporting Vendor
3,771 Posts
Polish the shaft & ball screw in a lathe. The nut teeth look ok but you won't know until you assemble them and see where the preload & lash is.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,771 Posts
I use a combination of emery, scotchbrite and other materials to recondition them. The idea is not to remove only polish.

You must have a 0-30 in/lb dial torque wrench to properly set them up. The bushings in the kits will not be as tight as they should be. They'll work, all depends on what you want from it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gary, I've read through your write up on the rebuild a couple times. You mention radiusing the bushings, how exactly do you do that?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a couple more questions on the steering box rebuild.
The one source I read said that the wormshaft should turn less than 4 complete revolutions. It seems that mine when back in the box with the new bearings installed and the cover just hand tight, has exactly 4 revolutions on it. Did I do something wrong?
Secondly, the preload on the wormshaft, is this done after the box is completely assembled, or do I set the preload on the wormshaft before I put the pitman shaft back in the housing?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts