Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with a supercharger on a stock 2007 LS2 c6 manual?
What would be the consequence of installing a Super Charger and leaving everything Stock? Or maybe just changing the headers.

Pros and cons ?

Is this doable or will I run into problems? Lets say I was running 6 psi of intercooled boost.

Any experience or advise on Pro Charger, Vortex etc?

Could this be a quick way to gain the power I am looking for without installing any further boltons etc.? I would have it professionally installed and tuned if this is an option. Could keep the rest of the car stock. That is if it is not going to blow anything.

Trying to cover all angles and options. Your experience, advice is greatly appreciated.

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
First, a s/c @ 6psi will make around 560-580hp. From what I've heard/read, that shouldn't blow the engine or damage the tranny. The rear-end should hold the power, but the increased wheel hop from the extra power spinning the wheels more often may blow it. So basically, I don't think you should be too worried about that amount of boost/power, however as with any hp-increasing mod, it will decrease your durability, but again I wouldn't get cold feet.

Second, you should decide what look/power/power delivery you are after. Your choices for supecharger types are centrifugal(ATI Procharger/Vortech), Roots(Magnacharger), or twin-screw(Kenne Bell). The latter two look quite alike, with a more "conventional" look, whereas the former looks like a belt driven turbo. So, for a more stock look(and hood), the centrufugal is the winner, but for a "true" supercharged look, the other two look more normal to the average guy.

Also, the twin-screw is superior to the roots, and the twin screw vs. centrifugal is a matter of opinion. The cent. s/c will give you max hp, however there will be a slight lag, nothing huge, but it will build with the rpm's, whereas the twin screw will make boost right away, but not "build" as rpms increase. Some people like to be able to lug the car around and then punch it and have 100% hp right away, whereas others like the power to surge as rpm's build.

Also, the ATI Procharger is air-to-air aftercooled, whereas the Magnacharger and I believe Kenne Bell are water-to-air aftercooled. Basically, the ATI Procharger will have a very simple afercooler install and great performance 99%, however after the laborious install you can pack a water-to-air aftercooler with ice for drag-racing, however this is a very minor time period of use, so I prefer air-to-air.

For a detailed explanation of the mechanical workings of the differnt superchargers, I would just google it and see what you find, it is what I did and know Im a practical expert! Almost...:D

·
Registered
840 Posts
:agree: with Schuyler. I don't have hands-on experience, but I have searched around for when I get my newer vette of what my options are. Of the mentioned systems that he spoke about, the two I would really consider are the Vortec centi, and Kenne Bell twin screw. On the pro's and con's of that: The Vortec doesn't need a new hood for clearance issues, the Kenne Bell does. The price of the two, the Vortec is about a 1000 dollars cheaper that Kenne Bells system. I would consider A&A corvette highly on a Vortech unit. The usually range around 6000 dollars. Both of these are great systems, the Vortec delivers the same horsepower based on applying to stock application as the Kenne Bell. Your power will just be in different locations of the power curve. The Kenne Bell will have the most beautiful flat line of continious torque, but the Vortec will climb the chart just as quick with more horsepower. Results vary, but you can be sure that it will produce the power Schuyler said. One of the first things that will also need changing is your tune. Usually these kits include them. I would also take a look into this, I don't know about the c6's clutch, but on a C5 many people replace the clutches. I've heard of people burning up even C6 Z clutches. But don't let this fact scare you. Just go out and get a nice RPM stage 3+ or Textrilia clutch. Basically, this is all based on what you like and what your budget it is. Both will give you a very drivable and fast street car.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So my understanding is the procharger will not affect the life of my engine. If it's tuned properly, engine maintenance and oil changes are done. What will affect the engine, is in the manner I drive. This is what I am getting from their site.

So if I don't drive agressive there is no extra wear on the engine? If I do there is more wear right?

Anyone have any experience or thoughts on this?

Also will headers work good with this setup? LG motorsport or Kooks (1 3/4 or 1 7/8) ?

Thanks in advance for your feedback?

:devil:

·
Registered
269 Posts
So my understanding is the procharger will not affect the life of my engine. If it's tuned properly, engine maintenance and oil changes are done. What will affect the engine, is in the manner I drive. This is what I am getting from their site.

So if I don't drive agressive there is no extra wear on the engine? If I do there is more wear right?

Anyone have any experience or thoughts on this?

Also will headers work good with this setup? LG motorsport or Kooks (1 3/4 or 1 7/8) ?

Thanks in advance for your feedback?

:devil:
well, i wouldnt go that far. any supercharger is going to put a strain on your engine. and extra strain equals extra stress. turbos will put less strain on your engine, but it is still forced induction. now, obviously, the harder you run it...the harder it is on your engine.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Yeah, a s/c will wear out your engine faster, but how fast? Will it wear out at 150000mi. versus 250000mi.? I don't know if anyone knows exactly, but if you run 6psi an dtune it correctly, I wouldn't be worried about your engine. Your rear end and clutch are the more likely victims of your engines wrath.:devil:

And the ATI Procharger is IMO better than the Vortech, so basically it is the Procharger vs. the Kenne Bell. The Vortech has air-to-water aftercooling vs. air-to-air, which is a pain and doesn't allow for as much power in this amount of boost and for daily driving(as said above you can put ice in an air-to-water aftercooler, but it melts, is a pain, ect.., who would do this on every drive.:huh: )

Also, keep in mind the look of the engine bay when you make your decision.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The ATI SC ProCharger P-1SC-1 running 6psi and d-tune is what I am aiming for.

I also want to upgrade the rear end and clutch.

What can I do to protect it?

Any experience in having it upgraded? Can you offer advice on vendors etc.?

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
267 Posts
mgaona -

I am looking at supercharging my 2006 C6 Vert manual tranny.

I am trying to decide between the Magnacharger, Procharger, and ECS Novi kit.

We are both local to many shops, if we both decide on the same kit and do them at the same shop, maybe a discount could be had.:thumbsup:

I've used both ECS and Cartek and they are both great shops.

Howard

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
ALSO OF NOTE! I don't know if supercharging would change this(oldog would know), but the cause of blown rear ends in stock C6's is from wheelhop, which generates a repetitive tire slip-grab-bounce-spin-grab sequence which is horrible for the rear end and destroys it. A good way to fix it and get more cornering performance is thru Pfadt coilovers(they're a supporting vendor). For around $3500 I think you can go for a total rear-suspension coil-over kit which will get rid of wheelhop and help performance.

Just another thing to keep in mind.:cheers: I would first find out if the power alone is enough to destroy a rearend-if not, go for the suspension, it is a great product.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Water pump and alternators should wear faster or at least thats what been said.

Something to ask those who have done superchargers...

·
Registered
840 Posts
On the issue of wear, anything that changes the factory limits is going to do wear execpt items that free up the factory limits(i.e headers and cold air). But really it's not so much the elements you change it really is about maintence. Also, heat is the enemy, and running the components hard. I am assuming this is mostly going to be street driven, right? I would say with care the engine should not fair no sooner than it would with normal driving. Or by the time you'd be ready for a change anyway.

So far as the types of chargers, Procharger is definately a good company. But I've heard of problems with stocking replacement parts and other misc things. Vortec, I've seen quite a few cars post very nice numbers with them. I'd say the Procharger and the Vortec is based pretty much of who likes what. Performance wise I've seen no major difference. I do know you can get the Vortec cheaper and I haven't heard of many problems out of it. Also, ECS their Novi system. That crew I have seen many good numbers out of their tuning and applications. They usually are priced a little higher, but they offer quality. Call around and get a feel for the vendors, that's what I'd do. Call ECS, and A&A Corvette. I'd also talk to Kenne Bell.

What ever you do, you can't go wrong. Your C6 will definately take the beating of 500 RWHP with a bolt-on supercharger kit, and clutch change.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yell03-

That sounds like a good idea. I am till doing research on the superchargers though.

I still have a few more questions for the forum.

Centrifugal- ATI Procharger: This is still one of my faorite options. This supercharger makes higher boost in the upper half of the engines powerband.
not sure at what RPM. If someone has more information feel free to share?

Vortech, NOVI Paxton: I've eliminated as I do not want to tap into the oil pan

Roots - Magnacharger: From what i've read roots superchargers have external compression which creates more heat therefore it won't have the potential of a centrifugal or twin-screw. So from my research what this means is you'll get more power from 5 pounds of boost from a centrifugal blower than you will from 5 pounds of a Roots blower. :down:

Twin-Screw - pros: Like the roots based superchargers creates boost soon as you step on the throtle, full boost at 2000-2400RPM all the way to redline.
This one sounds pretty good, but I need to continue research on different brands etc. (Kenny Blell , anything else ?)
cons: only thing is the supercharger would be in use most of the time, I don't know if this is an issue yet.

Any input, experiences, knowledge, suggestions is very much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
10,138 Posts
Regardless of the charger you choose, it's important to get the most out of it. Make sure you get a superior Kuneutson valve which is superior to the inferior kuhneutson valve! For use especially on engines with camshafts. The number one sign of Kuhneutson failure is reduced bore on your engine block! Easily remedy this with a Kuneutson Valve from KaleCoAuto! Now compatible with modern computer controlled cars.

:D

·
Registered
269 Posts
Regardless of the charger you choose, it's important to get the most out of it. Make sure you get a superior Kuneutson valve which is superior to the inferior kuhneutson valve! For use especially on engines with camshafts. The number one sign of Kuhneutson failure is reduced bore on your engine block! Easily remedy this with a Kuneutson Valve from KaleCoAuto! Now compatible with modern computer controlled cars.

:D
ha, ill take 7 please

·
Registered
316 Posts
ALSO OF NOTE! I don't know if supercharging would change this(oldog would know), but the cause of blown rear ends in stock C6's is from wheelhop, which generates a repetitive tire slip-grab-bounce-spin-grab sequence which is horrible for the rear end and destroys it. A good way to fix it and get more cornering performance is thru Pfadt coilovers(they're a supporting vendor). For around $3500 I think you can go for a total rear-suspension coil-over kit which will get rid of wheelhop and help performance.

Just another thing to keep in mind.:cheers: I would first find out if the power alone is enough to destroy a rearend-if not, go for the suspension, it is a great product.:thumbsup:

I totally agee....

i have both the pfadts and an ATI D1SC unit...IMHO the suspension upgrade is more impt than an upgraded/new rear end, since the pfadts completely eliminate wheel hop thus taking the stress off the third member.

I'm sold on Procharger - the power boost in the upper rpm/torque band is unbelieveable..... As soon as i get my new Warhawk engine installed i will be upgrading to a F-1C custom unit!!!

a.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts