Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I need to find out what the difference between the 1986 Corvette 700R4 and a normal 700R4 Transmission.

What I know so Far.

Corvette 700R4 has different tail housing and a V on the side of the case.

The 700R4 with an X on the side are truck Type case made thicker I read some where they have longer tail shat.

The other types are for cars and have a shorter Tail shaft.

I found a Killer deal on a 700R4 that holds up to 450 HP more than what I need it for so this should work for me but the guy telling me all I need to do is put my Vett tail shaft housing on it and it ready to go it for a normal car.

I rather hear from, you Vett guys before I make another mistake and buy the wrong parts.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
I am under the same impression. You need to put the Vette tailshaft on it and possibly the output shaft if the tailshaft is longer than the Vettes.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I used a rebuilt 700 out of an '85 Z28 to replace the one in my '85 Vette. Output shaft was maybe 1/8" longer. All I did was swap the tailshaft housing. I also looked at a 700 out of an '87 2-wheel drive suburban, same thing as the camaro, 1/8" longer output shaft.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I used a rebuilt 700 out of an '85 Z28 to replace the one in my '85 Vette. Output shaft was maybe 1/8" longer. All I did was swap the tailshaft housing. I also looked at a 700 out of an '87 2-wheel drive suburban, same thing as the camaro, 1/8" longer output shaft.
I have the same issue with my 700r4,you put in the trans with longer outputshaft only replacing the tailhousing, or you have to shorten the outputshaft, or change it with a corvette shorter outputshaft...thanks

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
there is also an internal difference with number of clutch packs and the side servo is larger on the vette model.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I did that when my 91 Firebird with a built trans got trashed by some idiot. Changed the tailshaft. It was fine for a while but the output shaft was longer. Used the wrong bolts and the tailhousing came loose. Trashed trans. Got a new one with the right tailhousing and the output shaft.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I rebuilt my 700R4 once my self when I put my new hopped up motor in the car.

This build been Murphys law most of the way so far what can go wrong has gone wrong.

I pruchashed a rebuild kit from Monster Transmission Nightmare wrong parts wrong seal had to wait for replacement parts to show up it took at least 1 month more playing the dog and pony show with them.

Every time I start working on the 700r4 I found out They has anouther wrong part to put in the kit. Nightmare I would never buy a rebuild kit from them ever again.

Purchased a New $380.00 lock up converter for the tranys rebuild put all back in the car I could back out of the garage fine but sliped very bad going foward.

I pulled the pan off to find clucth and little metal shavings in the pan I not happy at all.

I don't know if I trashed my New converter or not I going to try to have it flush out.

I not going to rebuild it my self ever again I going to have it done this time around.

I have a local shop that rebuilds trans but he want $1340.00 to rebuild a built trans But all I hear is good things about his work.

I can get a stock trans built for $600.00 range.

But will a stock 700R4 hold up to what I have done to the motor not a lot of HP but is to much for a stock trans to hold up to.

360 to 375 HP and about 425 TQ.

I not planning or going to beat on the car trying to make it a daily drive soon for a couple years I selling my 2006 Dodge truck to buy my wife a new car for her.

Don't worry still have her 2001 Dodge 3/4 ton V-10 Viper motor truck that gets 10 MPG on a good day down hill with the wind behide you it will pass every thing but a gas station LOL to drive around when the weather get bad or when I need to haul something.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well it looks like with any luck I have the money for a Built Trans around end of next month.

So I am going to order for now a New Front Y pipe with out Pre cats and a new 3 Way Cat I tryed to remove the stock cat fronm the old Y pipe It will not come off with out destroying it.

I wish I could reuse the stock cat for now but it will not come off I wills screw with some more this comming week before I order the new cat.

I also going to need a new air pump mine sounding likeit on it last leg.

I E-Mailed Huges Transmissions to see if I can send them my New Convertor back to them so they can flush or what ever they need to do to se if they can save my New Convertor that has 20 mintes of run time on it.

But on the bright side this Hick Up once again getting the car back on the road gives me more time to tie the wire loom up better tie up lose ends better, found a better way to run the oil cooler lines Ect.

So maybe this ended up beening a good thing after all Knowing the car will be 100% right when it comes off jacks.

Or untill next year when I save up the money to rebuild the rear end, New bearings seal Clucth pack U joints Bushings and all wheel bearings.

Oh Ya for everyone that has helped out with my Build I must say Thanks.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Well it looks like with any luck I have the money for a Built Trans around end of next month.

I wish I could reuse the stock cat for now but it will not come off I wills screw with some more this comming week before I order the new cat.

I also going to need a new air pump mine sounding likeit on it last leg.

I E-Mailed Huges Transmissions to see if I can send them my New Convertor back to them so they can flush or what ever they need to do to se if they can save my New Convertor that has 20 mintes of run time on it.
Enough for a motor build for me too? :smack

Not sure I would want to risk using an old cat that might be clogged up when the newer ones are more efficient and less restrictive.

How about a delete pulley?

I'm not sure about that. For a $380 TC, how much are you willing to spend? Last time I did that, it was about 400, IIRC. Precision Industries offers a free restall or TC cleaning within 2 yrs of purchase. Since mine was AFTER the warranty was up, I had to pay for it. Basically, you'd have to cut the TC apart, clean it, weld it back together and then balance it. How will you clean it without cutting it apart? If I were selling it tomorrow, sure. I might even just dump fluid in, swirl it around, pour it out, repeat 3 times and call it a day. If I put a performance build, you bet I will damn well make sure that there is no debris there waiting to come out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts