Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I posted some new pics under "my pictures' should be available soon. I think it turned out pretty well. Only thing that bugs me is the sump. Darn thing didn't seem to fit right the correct way due to the tank angling up and the frame, so I flipped it around, will see if it causes a problem. Guessing it won't if I keep enough gas in it.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, really the old fuel line removal was the biggest pita. Also, I had everything done with the old Edelbrock fuel pump but then read somewhere that I needed approximately 20% more fuel flow on the pump than the injectors had or the injectors wouldn't work correctly. Anyway, so that's why I upgraded the pump. Approximate costs/time are noted below.

Aeromotive A1000 (1100 hp EFI, 800 hp EFI forced ind) pump from Jegs $310.
Peterson 100 micron -8 fuel filter $130.
Jegs 100 micron -8 fuel filter $80.
-8 fuel line, 20 feet from Jegs $140 or so.
-6 fuel line, 15 feet from jegs $110 or so.
Sump from Summit $60.
Various AN fittings Jegs, Summit $200.
Sump welded in and pressure tested locally $140.
Steel for mounting plate 2 X 6"X6"X1/8" plates (had it already).
10 gauge wire for pump (haven't done this yet). $10.

So the total was approximately $1180. Makes me sick now that I added it up. Probably could have saved $200 in wasted parts and getting 2 Jegs filters instead of the Peterson filter.

Approximate time was as follows.
Tank removal and then reinstall 2 hr.s.
Finding someone to weld it 2 hrs.
Old fuel line removal 4-5 hr.s.
Cleaning frame for new fuel line 2 hr.s.
run new fuel line 1 hr.
Putting on hose ends, then taking them off, then on etc. 3 hrs.
Making fuel pump mount 4 hrs.

18-19 hr.s of actual work sounds about right, but keep in mind, I really don't know what I am doing so it takes longer.

I just hope I don't have any leaks after all of this.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
What are you going to be using the pump for? I am going to have to come up with something for my LS. Shouldn't the pump be isolated from the plate by rubber bushings to help keep it quiet? Anyway, nice work. I need to start gathering things to make my swap go easier.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I made a rubber gasket out of a truck innertube that sits between the pump and the plate, you just can't see it because I cut it to match the bottom of the pump. Do you think that is enough to reduce vibration?

It's for a 427 SBC Motor with 210 Elim AFR heads, 252/258 dur @ .050, 630/630; 111 LS solid roller cam (supposed to get 10" vacuum at 1000 rpm); 10.5:1 cr, 1 7/8" Hooker super comp headers with 4" sidepipes and STS Baffles.

EFI setup
Ported Edelbrock EFI intake with 1000 cfm TB, 48 lb venom injectors. Looking seriously at upgrading the ECU to a Megasquirt II setup, but I may try to get it running with the Edelbrock ECU with the longer duration chip I got for it.

The installed pump photos still haven't been approved yet btw.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts