Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's something I just noticed. The new AFR 180s I bought have a heat riser where my '128s didn't.

Stock '86 Aluminum '128 head:

AFR 180 0918 head:

The gasket recommended by AFR is the Fel-Pro 1256 which has the heat riser passage opened unlike the stock:

Is this going to cause any problems? It looks like this heat riser passage comes from the exhaust port in the head and feeds into the same intake manifold passage as the EGR pipe from the RH exhaust manifold. Any thoughts? Those that are using AFRs, are you using the gasket with the heat riser port?

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Here's something I just noticed. The new AFR 180s I bought have a heat riser where my '128s didn't.

Stock '86 Aluminum '128 head:

AFR 180 0918 head:

The gasket recommended by AFR is the Fel-Pro 1256 which has the heat riser passage opened unlike the stock:

Is this going to cause any problems? It looks like this heat riser passage comes from the exhaust port in the head and feeds into the same intake manifold passage as the EGR pipe from the RH exhaust manifold. Any thoughts? Those that are using AFRs, are you using the gasket with the heat riser port?

Blimey !!!!

In your part of the world (cool weather) Use it

In my part of the world ( Warm Climate) Block it off

Either way Tony, said use it, And your going to like those heads

·
Super Moderator
8,548 Posts
it won,t cause any problems at all. many TPI intake bases have the matching port that allows the exhaust heat to warm the lower intake runners during cool weather, but the upper runners flow air at about 200fps plus at high rpms so theres hardly time to absorb much heat from runner walls at higher rpms

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Grump.:thumbsup:

You too, Bon!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts