Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fresh from a stinging midterm election defeat, House Democrats must quickly face another embarrassing spectacle: public trials for two of their most prominent members.

Reps. Charles Rangel (D-N.Y.) and Maxine Waters (D-Calif.), two senior House veterans, have opted to fight the separate ethics charges in public ethics trials set to take place later this month and extend into the first week of December.

Drawing criticism from Republicans, House ethics chairwoman Zoe Lofgren (D-Calif.) last month announced the trials would occur after the elections. Rangel’s will commence Nov. 15 and the Waters trial will start Nov. 29.

To make matters worse for a party still reeling from their losses, Rangel, who is known for his colorful and rambling speeches, could decide to represent himself at the hearing. The Rangel’s trial would undoubtedly attract a lot of attention from the cable news shows.

“It’s like we’re kicking ourselves in the stomach when we’re already down,” one House Democratic staffer griped. “I’m not looking forward to it.”

Rangel and his attorney, Leslie Berger Kiernan, and her legal team parted ways in October, leaving little time before the Nov. 15 trial for another lawyer to take the case and prepare.

There’s an outside chance that the ethics committee could decide to postpone Rangel’s hearing because he no longer has legal representation, a delay some ethics experts say would be fair.

“I don't see how Rangel’s [trial] can happen since he does not have counsel and any new lawyer will need time to prepare,” said Melanie Sloan, the executive director of Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington. “It seems nearly certain Rangel’s trial will have to be postponed --- due process concerns.”

Waters is more eager to get her trial done so Sloan anticipates it will go forward as planned.

“I can't imagine how delaying would help the Ds,” she said. “I imagine they will want to get this behind them as quickly as possible.”

Rangel did not return a request for comment and a Waters spokesman declined to comment. The ethics committee does not discuss internal decisions about ongoing ethics cases and did not return a request for comment.

Under committee rules, Lofgren has the sole authority to schedule or delay the hearings as long as she wants, but other watchdogs said the ethics committee cannot afford any more bad press related to its handling of the Rangel and Waters matters.

“[Lofgren] is not at all likely to delay the hearings further,” said Craig Holman of Public Citizen. “Additional delays would reflect poorly on the committee itself and provide no benefit to either congressional caucus.”

Republicans have no sympathy for Democrat’s plight, because, they argue, their leaders had a choice of whether to move forward with the trials in July but decided to push them off until after the election for public relations purposes.

They also remember how Democrats capitalized on the 2006 October scandal involving then-Rep. Mark Foley (R-Fla.) and inappropriate electronic messages to former pages. At the time, Democrats said it proved that Republicans had lost their way on ethics.

“There is no purer symbol of the arrogance of power than Democrats holding these hearings after the elections,” said Doug Heye, spokesman for the Republican National Committee. “It perfectly encapsulated why voters are tired of Speaker [Nancy] Pelosi’s [D-Calif.] rule.”

Continues in link...

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/1...rubbing-dems-must-now-deal-with-ethics-trials

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
“There is no purer symbol of the arrogance of power than Democrats holding these hearings after the elections,” said Doug Heye, spokesman for the Republican National Committee. “It perfectly encapsulated why voters are tired of Speaker [Nancy] Pelosi’s [D-Calif.] rule.”
:agree:

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
I don't see that they will postpone Rangle's trial.

After all if they do, there won't be a Dem commity majority to let him off.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Hey wow, you guys got control of the H.O.R. Great, I'm sure that you will use that to try and legislate for the good of the country versus the last two years of, "...well we can't actually govern, lets just try and keep the other guys from passing any legislation." By all intelligent reasoning, the marginal gains the G.O.P. got represent a reality check if not a disappointment for their leadership considering the ridiculous claims of mandate and massive public relations spin. This rhetorical will of the "people" is little more than the marginal change in representation that we have come to expect in government. My prediction...the G.O.P., based on all of their recent history, will go ass crazy to impede the Dems, who by the way are in control of, well all other branches gov., from passing any meaningful legeislation and will in turn enjoy a very short lived and or very unproductive tenure in the House. You can fool some of middle America some of the time but they will catch on. I think you can close your eyes to the future and stubbornly shout down the impending dawn, but...well its still gonna happen.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Well... you have nothing to worry about, then.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Hey wow, you guys got control of the H.O.R. Great, I'm sure that you will use that to try and legislate for the good of the country versus the last two years of, "...well we can't actually govern, lets just try and keep the other guys from passing any legislation." By all intelligent reasoning, the marginal gains the G.O.P. got represent a reality check if not a disappointment for their leadership considering the ridiculous claims of mandate and massive public relations spin. This rhetorical will of the "people" is little more than the marginal change in representation that we have come to expect in government. My prediction...the G.O.P., based on all of their recent history, will go ass crazy to impede the Dems, who by the way are in control of, well all other branches gov., from passing any meaningful legeislation and will in turn enjoy a very short lived and or very unproductive tenure in the House. You can fool some of middle America some of the time but they will catch on. I think you can close your eyes to the future and stubbornly shout down the impending dawn, but...well its still gonna happen.
The third largest change of seats in the house is a marginal change? Been watching a littile to much MSNBC have we?

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
You're joking? Right? :laughing:

·
Registered
12,410 Posts

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
The third largest change of seats in the house is a marginal change? Been watching a little to much MSNBC have we?
The seats picked up... was the cherry on top. The real "change" was in the legislative seats and the governorships. We picked up 648 new "law making" seats and 10 governorships. Add to this the senate gains... (statistically even)... and two new state insurance commissioners that are highly opposed to Obama care.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Big word ! Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Florida, Indiana and Virginia ? ...-and we hold redistricting power ???

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Big word ! Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Florida, Indiana and Virginia ? ...-and we hold redistricting power ???
With the governorships and state houses gained, the GOP can turn a very large portion of this country red, for years.

The average dem voter has no clue of the real ramifications of the election. They don't understand that the real thumping they took was at the state level. I haven't seen the exact numbers yet, but the shift in power is in historic proportion.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
With the governorships and state houses gained, the GOP can turn a very large portion of this country red, for years.

The average dem voter has no clue of the real ramifications of the election. They don't understand that the real thumping they took was at the state level. I haven't seen the exact numbers yet, but the shift in power is in historic proportion.
Where did Rex go??? :huh:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts