Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone convert early 70 to modern power windows?
Anything like this. (universal power windows set)

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
FWIW: I would install the stock power window set up and stay away from the one-size-fits-all stuff. AIM will show exactly what's involved and will list the original part numbers. All the parts can be cobbled together from the aftermarket providers, Corvette salvage yards, and eBay.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
FWIW: I would install the stock power window set up and stay away from the one-size-fits-all stuff. AIM will show exactly what's involved and will list the original part numbers. All the parts can be cobbled together from the aftermarket providers, Corvette salvage yards, and eBay.

:agree: What he is calling modern, I would call cheap. No offense intended.

·
Registered
244 Posts

EBAY----#290136808952---- might bolt rite up???

·
Registered
19,914 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
EBAY----#290136808952---- might bolt rite up???
That looks like the whole deal there. Seller says it need new motors but those are available at NAPA, Autozone etc. Track rollers, counterbalance springs and other rebuild stuff is available at just about any Vette parts house.

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
The Vette windows are too hard to move up and down to use the universal kits. I have installed those kits in other cars. They actually work VERY well, but move pretty slow due to gear reduction to get the torque to lift and pull. In fact, I used that on the rear quarter glass of my 69 Camaro - works perfect.

Now - I have converted C3's to power windows before. The best way is to install actual OEM power window stuff. You can get it used or new. Getting it all new would be high dollar - so scoring good uses stuff is great. The trick is making sure the balance spring is good and that you have good rollers. You can get old ones to work again by spending some time with some pentrating lube (they will freeze up from lack of use).

Lubricate the tracks well and drop them in. I used a set of 1982 power actuators in my 69 Vette with no problems.

The harness is SIMPLE as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guy's thanks,

Cheap yes! I have looked into the retro fit, but is imho to expensive to ship to Holland. I can buy six of the universal type only for the shipping costs.

But! I have taken the decision to keep my hand powered windows.

regards

·
Registered
23 Posts
I installed the SPAL kit, P/N 3300-0030 in my '73, and it works great. It may be a bit slower than original equip, but it is much faster, quiter, and smoother than the one a friend of mine used. He took the cheaper route with a less expensive model that was ok for flat windows. I had to use the dremel tool to rework (minor) the slots on the door crank spindle to get an adaptor to fit, but that may have just been mine. Conversion wasn’t hard, but with a lot interruptions it took me a weekend from start to finish. Without interruptions, I would guess maybe 4 to 6 hrs.

Which ever one you go with, be sure to get the heavy duty motor. The smaller less expensive units are for flat windows. The curved windows require more power.
-Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts