Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ever go aftermarket on a clutch and flywheel for the 4+3? The two clutches I put in my car over the last 25 years, I bought from the General. Looking for something maybe a bit better for the 383. Anybody with SPEC experience?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Steve. BTW the Wiper Pigtail arrived today. Thanks again buddy, I owe you one.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Walley. Their Stage II is one of the ones I was considering, but wanted to hear from someone that had used one. How do you like it? Have you replaced the flywheel? The Centerforce 700170 is listed at 31 lbs. and the stock is listed as 16, but I can't believe that. The OEM feels much heavier than 16 lbs. I don't want to go lighter than stock with a car as heavy as the Corvette. I gotta weigh my OEM to be sure.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Thanks Walley. Their Stage II is one of the ones I was considering, but wanted to hear from someone that had used one. How do you like it? Have you replaced the flywheel? The Centerforce 700170 is listed at 31 lbs. and the stock is listed as 16, but I can't believe that. The OEM feels much heavier than 16 lbs. I don't want to go lighter than stock with a car as heavy as the Corvette. I gotta weigh my OEM to be sure.
Thanks again.
Just re-surfaced flywheel, Clutch feel is almost the same but has more holding power over stock, no chatter, slipping smooth engagement. For the dollar I don't know of any better. Have had it installed now for almost 10,000 miles (8 years)

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just re-surfaced flywheel, Clutch feel is almost the same but has more holding power over stock, no chatter, slipping smooth engagement. For the dollar I don't know of any better. Have had it installed now for almost 10,000 miles (8 years)
I'm sold then! I'm going to go with their flywheel too after I weigh my OEM.

Many thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
I am on my second centerforce clutch. Changed the first around 40k just because I was replacing the engine. and my new one has been on for about 25K. No issues with either and I just resurfaced the original flywheel. It holds back around 458 ft of torq on mine easily

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am on my second centerforce clutch. Changed the first around 40k just because I was replacing the engine. and my new one has been on for about 25K. No issues with either and I just resurfaced the original flywheel. It holds back around 458 ft of torq on mine easily
Thanks, good to know. I've already ordered the Centerforce 700170 and stage II clutch set.

·
Cleaner than Stock, Faster than Phock
726 Posts

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Ray, I used a Billet FW and a Centerforce and it worked fine.

Be safe my friend!

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HAY-10-330/
Many thanks for the input Larry. Hope you are keeping well. Wow that Hays was $50 cheaper than the Centerforce I ordered. Oh well, at least it seems that folks are happy with the Centerforce clutches.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know you ordered already but just incase someone else is going threw this
I went with a fidanza alum flywheel #198531
and a mcleod super street pro clutch #75222

Great clutch with a great feel!!:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know you ordered already but just incase someone else is going threw this
I went with a fidanza alum flywheel #198531
and a mcleod super street pro clutch #75222

Great clutch with a great feel!!:thumbsup:
Nice to hear. After not being able to get the Centerforce in any reasonable time, I went with the McLeod Street Pro #75122 and a new GM flywheel. Hopefully this clutch will be near as good as your Super Street Pro.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nice to hear. After not being able to get the Centerforce in any reasonable time, I went with the McLeod Street Pro #75122 and a new GM flywheel. Hopefully this clutch will be near as good as your Super Street Pro.
Car never felt so good and with a pedal feel just as soft if not softer then the factory clutch.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts