Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see alot of the 90's and above Vette with real nice aftermarket AIRFILTERS. Can these same items be applied to the c-4 Vettes. Especially 1986 and up.

·
DC Crew
20,694 Posts
Lots of C4 guys run open-lids w/ K&N filters.

Because the earlier C4s had MAFs, the air intake market isn't too big and later C4 intakes won't work on an earlier C4 without some major computer/wiring changes.

You can however buy a few options such as:

SLP Cold Air Induction

Vortex Ram Air

TPiS Cold Air Intake

·
Registered
292 Posts
If you clean it like your suppose to it can only save you money as you will only buy the one filter for the life of the car.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Well, if you're talking about those, some are worth a little.

Two of those directly use pressure from in front of the radiator to feed the engine. Seems fine at speed but I suspect these might pull hot air off the radiator at low speeds though and actually reduce power.

The SLP is a true ram-air intake, but nobody's done a thorough test on it. I gained 2-3 mpg highway in cold weather, and my gas mileage is very temperature dependent now, so I know it works. How much? Dunno. Worth the price? Dunno.

None of them will ever show a gain on the dyno though, for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Here's what I did:

used a square and a pencil to make a nice straight outline of where I wanted to cut, and used a cut of wheel to cut it.

a quick run with a file to eliminate the burr's and a quick scuff with 400 grit and a splash of paint, made it look just like the ones in the catalogues.
it houses my K&N filter.

whats its worth, just your time, gains not sure? probably looses no power:cheers:

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts