Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What have you done to fit aftermarket (AutoMeter) gauges into the center instrument cluster ? Do the gauges fit the existing holes or do I have to cut/saw/dremel the plastic ?
Maybe the best way is to start with a reproduction bezel and safe the original ? Mine is already cut for a DIN size radio so I guess it doesn't really matter ...

Or just cut the holes bigger and add a brushed aluminum plate on top of the plastic ???

post some photos please :thumbsup: :cheers:

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
I think 2-1/8 gauges fit right in. Remove the plastic lens and the old gauges, and they fit right in. Only problem is they set flat, and IMHO they need to be angled slightly left..

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think 2-1/8 gauges fit right in. Remove the plastic lens and the old gauges, and they fit right in. Only problem is they set flat, and IMHO they need to be angled slightly left..
Thanks, it seems to be less painful than I thought....

Summit sells 2 1/16" gauges (52mm)...or 2 5/8" (67mm) ... I didn't see any 2 1/8"

yes, they should be slightly angled but even mounted flat they're better than what I have now :laughing:

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Those old S-W gauges may be 2-1/16. Been so long i'm in the CRS mode anyway. Pop it apart and measure the hole. I do recall there was no cutting/grinding required. Just dropped 'em in, wired 'em up and away we go. At the point now the background lights suck- time to pull it all apart and install LED's in the background.

:cheers:

·
Registered
596 Posts
I had an well-used '80 that I had planned-on making into a bracket-racer, so I fabricated this aluminum cluster/console cover that would've housed AUTOMETER gauges & various toggle-switches

but I decided to use my pristine '82 instead, and realized I really only 'needed' 2 gauges (water-temp & oil pressure ), so I made this simple bracket, that uses existing screws & holes to mount

and added positions for electric water-pump, electric-fans, and line-lock switches, too:
this modified bracket 'should' allow the aftermarket gauges to be mounted directly in-front of the OEM gauges, so the interior won't be butchered-up too-badly.....

·
Registered
92 Posts
i got the ultra lites w/the autometer angled trim rings, they're 2 1/16" size. the fit was a lil sloppy so it gave me the excuse to get the trim rings which are functional and fit perfect. no cutting required on my style, think that goes ditto for your style cluster.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That looks great :thumbsup:

Now I have to make up my mind: black or silver
face.... chrome or no chrome ring.... they sell
like 14 different styles at Summit
:lookinup: :huh: :crazy:

really like that aluminum plate :cheers:

·
Registered
596 Posts
What is hanging from the mirror?
it is a 'practice-tree', used to simulate the starting-line Christmas Tree at the drag-strip:

it includes a power-cord to the cigarette-lighter, and a cord to a foot-pedal on the floor-boards, so I can practice/sharpen my reactions.

The side-view shows small switches (next to the Gold label ) that allow the roll-out of the tree to be varied from hard-leaving to slow-leaving cars, and the front includes 3 flashing Amber bulbs, a Green bulb, and Red-bulb, along-with a digital read-out of my reactions from my most-previous 'run':
a 1987-model, it reflects the days before 1999, when NHRA used a timing-system that had .500 as a 'perfect-light' (now, .000 is perfect, with minus-numbers reflecting a foul-start ), and I shoot for Reaction Times in the .010-.025 range (.510-.525 on the older-style timing-systems ) on every run.

I sit it on the hood of the car, with a rag underneath it, when practicing in my shop, or use the small eyelets & bungee-cords over the mirror (simulate Left-lane runs ), or visor-anchor (simulate Right-lane runs ) while in the Staging Lanes before a run:
I suspended it over the mirror that day to make-sure the mount I made for the shift-light wouldn't interfere with the practice-tree.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
92 Posts
where did you get that trim piece for the middle with the angles? and how much?
are u talking bout the trim piece for the CD player or the gauge trim? i got the angled gauge rings from summit, they cost sumthing like $6 per 2 pak so around $18 and let us not ferget summit's $8 shipping. as for the stereo trim i don't have the link but if u ask a thread on it u'll find it as a lot of us vette guys have the same part.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Here's what I did on my 72.

·
Banned
201 Posts
I'm going to install autometer ultra lite gauges in mine (77). The aftermarket gauges that were in there are what appears 2 different series, some have red and others have white needles :crazy: Also the stock speedo and tach have spots that were touched up with black paint. I "found" a big box with 16 autometer gauges including a 200mph speedo and 10K tach :laughing: Looks like they fit perfectly in the 77-82 center console and the 68-77 speedo/tach cluster :thumbsup: Also found a brand new 82 center console and shifter plate including all the power window switches, all new :laughing: so I'm going to use that, paint the silver trim black (because it easily rubbs off) and stick one of those carbon look kits on it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
let me know when you get that done i would like to see it.

I need mine totally redone. And i dont want to spend 369 for all three pieces. What dash are you using 78-82???

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
let me know when you get that done i would like to see it.

I need mine totally redone. And i dont want to spend 369 for all three pieces. What dash are you using 78-82???

Take your time and shop on Ebay and in forum 'for sale' sections - you'll find a decent dash for the right price sooner or later....

A used 78-82 dash and a used center bezel is probably the cheapest way to go.....

Are your speedo/tach 5" or 3.5" diameter ??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts