Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find an aftermarket oil pan for my 78 vette with a sbc 400. The problem is that the couple of 7 system quart pans that I have tried all hit the idler arm about 6.5 inches from the front of the pan. Anybody know of a large oil pan that will fit?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Hits the idler arm:huh: The idler arm must be pointing staight back when the car is pointing straight ahead so it would not hit then. I have a big block with a large oil pan and it isn't even close. Are you using a pan with a kick out to the side or are we talking about the drag/center link?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I'm not too tech savy, maybe it is not called the idler arm. It is the "big bar thingy" between the wheels for steering. It moves back and forth when you turn. It rests about 6 inches from the front of the oil pan and about 4 in ches down from the bottom of the block.

And, I have a 400ci sbc in it.

Any ideas?

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
that's the drag link/center link allright. The idler arm is the arm on the pass. side of the chassis on which the drag link hangs, a similar arm is on the drivers side, coming out of the steering box, that's the pitman arm.

The moroso 7 qt pan should fit just fine, it's the road race pan with kickouts

1 - 4 of 4 Posts