Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad is looking into getting a shifter for his C5 and he has heard good and bad comments on both Hurst and B&M. He, at first, wanted the Hurst but now he doesn't know. For the people who has one or the other, which one do you have and what do you think about it. Highs? Lows? Thanks in Advance!

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have the B&M shifter. The throw of the shift is about half the distance , and it provides firm and positive shift points. I love it.

Some people prefer the hurst stating it goes into the gears easier, but I have had no problems with my ripper and prefer the firmness of it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
113 Posts
:agree:

I also have the B&M Ripper, and I love it. It's exactly what I wanted... shorter throw and much more precise shifts. The stock shifter was just way too loose and cheap feeling to me.

The best way to find out if it's right for him though, is to try and find owners with one of each type and let him test drive them. That's what I did before I bought mine, and it was everything I expected and more.

:cheers:

B

·
0 Posts
Hurst fan here.

I dont know much about the B&M unit but the Hurst's feel is adjustable so you can have it as firm or softer if you wish by just chainging out the springs.

The throw distance is about 40% shorter and is as precise as they come.

Both units are good but I have heard some rattling issues more with the B&M unit than the Hurst.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The Hurst is everything I wanted in a shifter. It is not like the stock shifter. If you want stock feel, you might want the heavily overpriced Mallett shifter, I hear it feels just like the stock one but works much better. :cheers:

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, my dad has just informed me, that he went with the Hurst. Ordered it today. but now I got another question...For those of you with a Hurst (or B&M, whichever) Did you get a different shift boot or stay with the stock boot?

·
Registered
31 Posts
shifter/boot

5.7, Yep I agree with everyone here so far. I had a Ripper on my previous C5 and have a Hurst on this car. The Ripper is fine, and I like the cool stainless steel shaft better than Hurst's black steel but it is mostly covered. The Hurst can be as stiff as you want it and it shifts about the same as the Ripper did which is very exact and precise. The Ripper, though, had a stiff gate spring and made the last car almost impossible for my wife to drive. The Hurst is a nicer compromise here with it's softer possibilities. I used my stock boot and wrapped the shaft with some lead as recommended by Nate at extreme to absorb any vibration(mass). Also, he recommended that, for reliability, I pitch the shift stops and silicone the holes closed. No complaints thusfar and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Buy a nice knob too btw while you are in there. QR:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: shifter/boot

QuickRick said:
5.7, Yep I agree with everyone here so far. I had a Ripper on my previous C5 and have a Hurst on this car. The Ripper is fine, and I like the cool stainless steel shaft better than Hurst's black steel but it is mostly covered. The Hurst can be as stiff as you want it and it shifts about the same as the Ripper did which is very exact and precise. The Ripper, though, had a stiff gate spring and made the last car almost impossible for my wife to drive. The Hurst is a nicer compromise here with it's softer possibilities. I used my stock boot and wrapped the shaft with some lead as recommended by Nate at extreme to absorb any vibration(mass). Also, he recommended that, for reliability, I pitch the shift stops and silicone the holes closed. No complaints thusfar and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Buy a nice knob too btw while you are in there. QR:thumbsup:
My dad bought the Hurst from L.A.P.D., i'm guessing they have the best price. And he has the MGW Shift know on his car (He likes it alot better than the stock, cant get as good of a grip on it).

B

·
0 Posts
I am using the OEM shift boot with my Hurst/MGW set up. It looks just fine.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have a Hurst with the MGW knob, and thought the stock boot looked a little bunched up. I got a two-tone short boot from Ken King at Vette Essentials and it's great. sorry, no pics;

·
Registered
97 Posts
I cut my stock boot down 1.5 inches. Looks like a Ken King boot...........well almost. :rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alright, me and my dad are going to be installing the Hurst tomorrow or there is a slight chance we will do it tonight. But for those of you that have the Hurst, did you cut it down a little to make it even more shorter?( Cut the off the top and leave only a few threads) My dad and I were looking at it and that came to mind. What do you all think?

B

·
0 Posts
I would leave it alone at first. See what it feels/looks like before you go cutting it! You will only be able to cut it about a half inch which wont make much of a difference.

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My dad and I put the Hurst in today, took about an hour and a half to install. He likes it alot. And he isn't going to cut any threads off, its low enough! But he is going to be getting a Ken King short boot soon. I'll post pics if anyone wants them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
We have the hurst with this set up. Even though I borrow the link from Vetteessentials :cheers:

·
Registered
662 Posts
BIG LAW MAN said:
Here ya go!
I can't go in a Target without thinking of you and looking for Maisto EB Z06 models. I've found four in the last month.

Your shifter looks very similar to the one in the Speedvision GT BMW of Hans Stuck.

I have watched in-car videos of the C5-R drivers shifing and like how easily their shifter falls to hand.

It is not very attractive for a street car however.

For others contemplating a shifter replacement the November issue of Corvette Magazine page 85, has a very good "How-to" article for those who want to do it themselves. Many photos of the procedure.

Ray

1 - 20 of 20 Posts