Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to replace my Bose stereo (which isnt working anyway) with an aftermarket one. Mostly I want something that will play AM/FM and have a USB/Ipod dock, I could care less about CD since I dont use them anymore. I have searched the forums and have pretty much come up empty, anyone have suggestions on what could be used for my application?

·
Registered
182 Posts
For my 90, also Bose gold double din, I purchased a Sony
Xplod CDX-GT240, a mount with storage compartment & an antenna extension from Crutchfield. Cost for the 3 items was about 120.00.

Three way speakers from Wally world, VR3 5&1/4 front, 6x9 rear, 24.00 per pair + 50' of speaker wire add 10.00.

I used the Bose speaker boxes, cut off the high spots & enlarged the frront holes with a dremel & cut off disc. Packed the boxes with house fiberglass insulation.

Rear speaker mounts were also cut flat & opened up with the dremel & a belt sander. Ended up with a small hole & sealed it with 3M strip calk which is auto body putty for seams.

Ran all new wireing, it sounds great, much better than the Bose even with the cheap speakers.

Took me a couple of full days for the change over but I have a new system that will play the ipod for less than 2 bills.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Im looking to replace my Bose stereo (which isnt working anyway) with an aftermarket one. Mostly I want something that will play AM/FM and have a USB/Ipod dock, I could care less about CD since I dont use them anymore. I have searched the forums and have pretty much come up empty, anyone have suggestions on what could be used for my application?
You will need to replace your speaker for decent sound. In my 92 I went to Car Toys here in Dallas and they replaced the stereo and 4 speakers for less than $500. Great sound, and it played data CDs (as many as 200 songs), had a MP3 player plug and HD Radio. Sounds great for not muchh money. I ended up selling my Bose Stereo and four speakers for $200 so it was a good deal.

:cheers:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts