Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys im putting in a non air bag steering wheel. I assume the air bag light will be on after this. I dont not want to remove the cluster and pull the bulb. Can I just ground a wire to trick the ecm or does the ecm need to be programed. If anyone has a wireing schematic that would be great. Also if the air bag system has a fault in it does it disable any other features in the car I.E. ABS, Traction, things like that?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Both of mine are out, I think they are turned off on the pcm.

If you take the pass side out also, don't break the tabs on the cover (which is what happens when they deploy) you can't buy just the cover, which will make your air bags more valuable.

I think I have another deployed cover which can be glued in the empty spot.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both of mine are out, I think they are turned off on the pcm.

If you take the pass side out also, don't break the tabs on the cover (which is what happens when they deploy) you can't buy just the cover, which will make your air bags more valuable.

I think I have another deployed cover which can be glued in the empty spot.
When you took them out did you have the ecm programed or did you put in a dummy wire to trick the ecm?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I didn't personally take them out.

You would think the PCM or BCM knows if the air bags are in place, so they should be able to be turned off. (if needed)

You could always disconnect the battery, disconnect the air bag and see if a code pops up. :huh:

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't personally take them out.

You would think the PCM or BCM knows if the air bags are in place, so they should be able to be turned off. (if needed)

You could always disconnect the battery, disconnect the air bag and see if a code pops up. :huh:
I know when I switched over to a sparco wheel in my 4th gen camaro, the light was permenently on. I just pulled the bulb out. But that car never went through "inspection". Im worried about the corvette failing if they plug into the car and see the active light. Even though the bulb is pulled the ecm will show its on in the computer.

·
Registered
230 Posts
be careful when doing this so you dont trigger the airbag and have it knock you out...

just a warning im sure you know what your doing though

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
Does your state do a quik ECM scan like alot of states? They would see the bags are turned off. Im sure you can figure out how to jump out the sensor. You sure they wont catch this in a visual, its pretty common knowledge that 89 was the last year of no bags. Good luke though, maybe wait til after the inspection? would buy you more time to figure this out

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
If you remove your airbags and you get into an accident, your insurance company will not pay.

Grant does make pretty nice airbag steering wheels for C5's and C6's

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
If you remove your airbags and you get into an accident, your insurance company will not pay.
Are you 100% sure about that???

Also what if you don't have the factory seat belts anymore. (just 5 pt racing belts)

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
as it was explained to me, if you remove any safety equipment they do not have to pay, now if you have a different kind of seatbelt, it can be a grey area depending on who your insurance company is.

The reason I was told is because it greatly increased chance of injury and/or death. It makes sense to me really.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you 100% sure about that???

Also what if you don't have the factory seat belts anymore. (just 5 pt racing belts)
I feel that no air bag but having 5 point harnesses are safer. The harnesses will keep you planted and the bag not being there wont disorient you.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I feel that no air bag but having 5 point harnesses are safer. The harnesses will keep you planted and the bag not being there wont disorient you.
Only problem I have with the harness is, it keeps you locked in too good and if you have to move to see you can't.

·
Banned
591 Posts
as it was explained to me, if you remove any safety equipment they do not have to pay, now if you have a different kind of seatbelt, it can be a grey area depending on who your insurance company is.

The reason I was told is because it greatly increased chance of injury and/or death. It makes sense to me really.
I'm guessing it's all in the small print :surprised

:laughing:

·
Registered
296 Posts
I see you are in PA.
Title 67 reads "Safety belts. A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be equipped with safety belts of a type used as original equipment securely attached to the frame or structure. If attached to sheet metal, they shall have backing plates."

So pretty much if you have a harness, for racing, you still need to have the factory installed safety belts in. You might pass inspection anyway if the mechanic is not paying attention, but it is a equipment violation.

Surprisingly, in PA I don't think there is any requirement for an airbag, even if originally equipped. I may be mistaken on that, so that is my legal disclaimer. Now as far as insurance company payouts if you or a passenger is injured wearing a harness and no airbag, well they are private companies so I would read the fine print.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts