Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Patrick, I've searched the forum but cannot find an age poll.

A thought hit me when I was downloading some pics from the LA Auto Show: Which market/demographic/age range/whathaveyou is Chevrolet going after with this new design of the C6? And is it the correct market/etc.?

Here are 3 (shrunken) pics from 3 different individuals who attended the LA Auto Show as of today (1/6/04). It struck me that a large majority of the people viewing the C6 (albeit in this small sample) are between 40 and 60.

Now, I don't know how closely those numbers reflect the actual Corvette market (hense this post), but I'm guessing they are close. I'm 41 myself and I'm a huge fan, but I would have thought the 30-40 range would be the largest.

So, what do you all think?

Just interested. :partyon:

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
I'm 31 and I just can't justify spending that kind of money on a car. My car was cheap enough and is now paid for so it doesn't hurt to use it for a toy but I couldn't imagine owning paying for one of those and not driving it everyday. We didn't even spend that much on both our daily drivers combined. All that being said I think they are after the older market people who have had they're kids and can afford to buy one and enjoy it.

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
21 here...in about 3 years i'll be in the market for a corvette..i'm going to be looking and hoping i can afford the C6 if not i'll get a C4 LT4 corvette....

·
DC Crew
3,482 Posts
I agree with raid the 40 to 60 year olds still want a fast car to enjoy but now they can afford it since there arent paying for kids.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
37 here :buhbye:

I'll hopefully get one when the vert comes out or I'll wait and trade the Z06 in for the super C6 Z06 :D

·
Certified Stalker
4,077 Posts
I'm 17 and can't hope to afford a vette for a long while.....maybe i'll find an old beat-up one and fix it up.....anyway most younger people are into rice-burners today:whip: :whip: :whip:

·
Super Moderator
10,115 Posts
Guess I'm the geezer at 53, but I've owned and driven vettes daily since I was about 25. Believe me, they've changed a bunch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Am a "young" 57 myself. Seem to see more grey hairs driving the vettes today. Kids are out of the house (partially) and am fortunate to be able to afford about any car I want. Something about corvettes - true American Sports Cars, or whatever, that just seemed right.

Living in California, the coupe's top is off about 9 months out of the year. To me, it's just a rush.

·
Registered
587 Posts
i am 70 and my C-6 will be my 10th new corvette since 1959

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I read somewhere that the average vette owner is 51. Can't remember where I saw that. Probably cuz I'm exactly the right age to be a vette owner, according to that website...

·
Registered
587 Posts
i also had 2 Z-28s,68 and 69 and a 70 454 450 hp chevelle. i did not want to miss anything because you never know how long you will be here.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm 20, and looking at getting my C6 between Sept. and Dec. undecided on a vert or targa. May even hold off for the ZO6, depends if there's a vert.

·
Registered
953 Posts
What I think would be interesting metrics (if this is even possible) is to try to contact the event organizers of the 50th Anniversary celebration last June in Nashville. Although I do not remember if I had to specify an age when I registered but it may be something to consider. During the event, it seemed that the owners and attendees were in the 40-60 age range. I am not a good judge at guessing peoples ages but I think that 75% of the people there had to fall into that range. The party after the party in Bowling Green, KY I would guess the majority was in this age category as well.

Oh and yes I hit the big 40 last August.

Leo

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,527 Posts
lehmannhenry said:
I'm 17 and can't hope to afford a vette for a long while.....maybe i'll find an old beat-up one and fix it up.....anyway most younger people are into rice-burners today:whip: :whip: :whip:
WELCOME to DC Crew

At 17 insurance will be your big expense. There are plenty of good deal out there in the 5-10K range. Look around and you'll find something

·
Registered
185 Posts
Thought I'd add my voice to the choir saying hi to everybody.

I'm from Sweden and though I almost bought a used 'vette about 2 years ago (a new C5 here is $80K without extras).

Then I got unemployed .. Anyway, not to get anybody depressed.. I'm 26 and the reason I didn't get the 'vette is that there aren't that many that are affordable and really in a good condition. Since the price on new ones is so high people are just charging overprice on used ones. A '97 for $50K for instance ... But I'll get there... I told my wife I'm getting a 'Vette eventually and she supports me on that.

// Stefan

·
Registered
953 Posts
Blast said:
(a new C5 here is $80K without extras)
Ouch! You would probably be better off to come to the US, purchase your desired car and then ship it across the pond to Europe. Heck you can then drive it home from the west coast of Europe. Plus I bet you would have the best looking vette in town.

Leo

:cheers:

1 - 20 of 105 Posts