Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted some new thread of the 79. I did the whole front with Dynamat and I must tell you it is much quieter and with no A/C it is much hotter. And I just did the front. I am gonna rip the carpet outta the back and do it also. I fixed the door with fiber mat and some straight line from Por-15. That stuff goes on smooth after the matting. I had to apply twice before I got it right. I used a neumatic orbital air sander (Nah). Got it right with the Black and Decker flat finisher. That thing will sand anything plum. Like a baby's butt when I hit with thayt. Now to shoot the primer and then do not know weather to do Base coat clear or just Old School Enamel. I shot her with both to see what she would do and it seems enamel is her choice of paint. I think a Urethane paint would be better or old school Phlatt look and no shine. This car is far from complete. I found things I am not too fond of. The rubber parts for the door and post are really gone. So, I am deciding where is the cheapest rubber to buy for the door and the other components. While I am pricing other components that need attention.

Did anyone have a SBC redone L-48 or am I wasting my time and not going crate?

Also has anyone here, pulled the engine and tranny themselves without any help?

Anyone here have a 79 or a C3 try to jump sideways accelerating hard over 55 mph? I was told rear stabilizer bushings? :lookinup: :thud: :huh:

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Also has anyone here, pulled the engine and tranny themselves without any help?
It's a lot of work, but not impossible. I always split then engine and tranny. Drop the tranny, then go up top and pull the engine. That's just me. Others prefer to pull them together.

Anyone here have a 79 or a C3 try to jump sideways accelerating hard over 55 mph? I was told rear stabilizer bushings? :lookinup: :thud: :huh:
Yep, happens all the time. Funny thing though, the rear tires ALWAY start smokin' when I hit it hard. I think it's a HORSEPOWER thing. Your mileage may vary. :D

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thing is I put the new 17's on it and it did not do that. I have a shift kit in the tranny and the 195 is stronger than I ever thought she was turnin those 17's. The guy I bought it from told me are you sure she is not A 225? Sure drives like one for a L-48 witch is supposed to have a 2 bolt main and not a 4 bolt main like the guy at the parts house told me. She does honk on for an automatic. Butt I think you are right it IS a tire thing. With thin skinny tires she drives like a pro. With these fat tires on the rear she grabs it seem on the outside (multidirectional tire)My opinion is a soft compound tire is a necessity for the C3. It was back in the day and I only had Bias tires. I think the same thing holds true to this day. Stress cracks in the glass is gonna put a pain in yo azzzzzzzzzz. Lol:crazy:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've yanked and replaced the 454 in my 72, without the trans, by myself, 3 times now.

I think its possible to do it with the tranny attached, just takes a bit more time and patience. But 4 hands would make it a lot easier.:thumbsup:

BB NJ Ken

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Probably the reason I need a small motor home and a toy hauler or a C5. And NO I will never sell my C3's . They can just sit there and accumulate greatness. :thud:

·
Registered
905 Posts
I pulled the engine and trans by myself, but it was sure scary when all that weight was over the fender!:cheers: Art

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good news. Gonna get er done when I get a new Corvette or a cheapo parts runner.. I know I been complainin bout the C3 lately but she has tested my patience with her to the point that I am in "Kill Mode". And like a shark that is provoked I will kill both of them. That you can trust. When you just give love and never GET love. Know that song? That is where I am. Got the damned primer on the sills and the door ends and the interior doors. I am the one who cannot stand the look getting in and out of her. NO one here is the problem. Just me. I am fixin to close in the game room and pull the body off. And do the frame outside. And if she pulls a fast one on me like she did today she can bring her high maintenance azzz here pronto and put her own money in this one. Hope her pockets are deep cuz I have the money to do her and not her do me. Lol:)Ray....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts