Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. If I remove the air bag light from my gauge cluster does the driver information center on a 98 coupe show that there is an air bag problem too. If so does anyone know what resistor I have to put in the wireing to trick the computer?

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Hey guys. If I remove the air bag light from my gauge cluster does the driver information center on a 98 coupe show that there is an air bag problem too. If so does anyone know what resistor I have to put in the wireing to trick the computer?
Are you referring just to the indicator bulb? Surely that would not be considered part of the Air Bag System itself?

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Are you referring just to the indicator bulb? Surely that would not be considered part of the Air Bag System itself?
I wouldn't think so either, however, looking at this diagram makes me think differently. If you remove that bulb, the IRSD module won't see 12V to ground. Now if it is setup to inform the car of this, I don't know but I would think that it is. There is one way to check it. Remove MiniFuse 19 from the Instrument Panel Electrical Center. That would electrically be the same thing as removing the bulb because you would create the same break in the circuit.

I do have another question though. Why do you want to remove the bulb in the first place? Oh, in order to trick the computer, you would have to know the current flow through that circuit as V/I=R, R being the value you need.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Interesting. I guess since it is a "safety" system, perhaps they consider that not being able to be notified of a failure is a failure in itself?
:laughing:

Well said, I think!

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help junkman.......wow this is a horrible design you would think the lights ground and the airbags sensor wire would both go to an ecm of some sort. BTW the reason I need to know about this is because im putting in a sparco race wheel. Looks like just pulling the fuse is all I have to do, hopefully that fuse doesn't feed any other components. You wouldn't happen to have a schematic just for that fuse showing power distribution ?

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
I may but I'm not sure where to look for it. There are only about a million schematics for this car. I don't think the manual breaks it down that far. :thud:

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help junkman.......wow this is a horrible design you would think the lights ground and the airbags sensor wire would both go to an ecm of some sort. BTW the reason I need to know about this is because im putting in a sparco race wheel. Looks like just pulling the fuse is all I have to do, hopefully that fuse doesn't feed any other components. You wouldn't happen to have a schematic just for that fuse showing power distribution ?
Now that I think about it more im sure if there is an issue the module would send a signal via the dattalink to the cluster to tell the dic there is a problem but I will find out when I start messing with the car next month

1 - 8 of 8 Posts