Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My a/c belt broke and I replaced it, but now only the passenger side of the car blows cold air. Had a friend check the system and he added a can of freon(coolant). The passenger side was getting down to about 45 deg with the windows open and about 90 outside, drivers side barely was cool. Do I need to reset something? I figured what one side did so would the other unless adjusted. Any ideas? Anyone seen this before?

·
Registered
871 Posts
My a/c belt broke and I replaced it, but now only the passenger side of the car blows cold air. Had a friend check the system and he added a can of freon(coolant). The passenger side was getting down to about 45 deg with the windows open and about 90 outside, drivers side barely was cool. Do I need to reset something? I figured what one side did so would the other unless adjusted. Any ideas? Anyone seen this before?
Acuator motors are out of sync....or one went bad. Go into the DIC control & pull up codes, with the motor not running scroll down to the AC codes. Should show 3 codes for the HVAC system....clear them. Page up & then back to the AC and see if it stil has the codes. Try and shut it off & start the car....do a repeat of all & it may reset & resync them. If not, acuator time.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Acuator motors are out of sync....or one went bad. Go into the DIC control & pull up codes, with the motor not running scroll down to the AC codes. Should show 3 codes for the HVAC system....clear them. Page up & then back to the AC and see if it stil has the codes. Try and shut it off & start the car....do a repeat of all & it may reset & resync them. If not, acuator time.
There is also a fuse that you can pull for a few minutes that also resets everything. I can't remember the number but it worked for me.

(Search tags for future look up:)

reindexing actuators
B0446
99-HVAC B0446
acuators
passenger's side blows hot, driver's side blows cold
passenger's side blows cold, driver's side blows hot

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, since I wasn't sure which fuses till too late I disconnected the battery. I'll reconnect it shortly, or should I have only done the fuses leaving something else powered up?

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
You should have left the battery plugged up and then pulled the fuses. After all, pulling the fuses with the battery plugged up creates voltage changes in the circuit which is why the AC get reset some kind of way. With the battery unplugged, there is no change in the circuit and pulling the fuses is like fighting the Borg...it's just futile. :D

Thanks OSUVette for saving me the trouble of looking that up. I need to put that in my cliff notes! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pulled the fuses

OK, I reconnected the battery and pulled the 2 fuses, should I keep them out for a certain amount of time?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I'll go put them back in. By the way Junkman, your post on caliper paint was awesome! And to osuvette and sc2150, many thanks

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Thanks man!:thumbsup:

One thing to watch out for when adjusting your temperature. Do not spin the knob too fast. Doing so will throw the HVAC out of whack and cause this issue to come back. I use to make that mistake all the time until someone told me about it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got weird!

Started up car, still same effect except when I turn on and off the system the motor almost stalls at idle. When I started up the car the ac was already on, should it have been off? Should I repeat the procedure, strange effect.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Again

Tried the whole step again, same result. Gonna bring up the codes, see what it shows. Just checked, no codes. Wonder whats next?

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Edit: I just realized that you have to do the fuse reset with the key ON! Try it again. If it fails, read on.

Now you're making me think that you actually have an actuator problem. There is another scenario that has something to do with the area of the compressor but I'm going to have to find it. Did you all have any problems when replacing the belt? You could have knocked something loose around that area and that is what is making me think about another thread I read. It went on for quite a bit. Check the belt area again and make sure that everything is right. You may have to get under the car to see that area really good.

I'm editing this post as time goes on so check back a few times. Here's some links you may need. Don't go out and buy anything, just bookmark the link just in case.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92649

If you have to get this setup, you'll also need the can tap tool (last thing on the list of this parts page):

http://www.ctd4ac.com/actools6.asp

(Now that I see how cheap that setup is, I think I'm going to add it to my collection!)

One thing I forgot to ask you is if you have the dual climate HVAC setup or the manual type. If you have the manual type, check this out...

"The manual system doesn't have separate actuators for left and right side.

The air first passes through the AIR Inlet Valve which complies with either outside or recirculation air. It then enters the plenum at the passenger side, after being sent through the temperature valve which sends it through either the AC Evaporator or the Heater Core, or a combination of both. At that point it makes its way across the vehicle to the various outlets determined by the Mode Valve which gets its instructions from the position of the mode dial on the control head.

If the cooling is marginal, the driver side of the vehicle outlets will not be as cool as the passenger side. Possible causes are low refrigerant charge, dirty condenser, restrictions, bad pressure switches. A good place to start is to check the refrigerant levels, and it would also be a good idea to make sure the condenser is clean and free of debris, including in between the condenser and radiator.

There is a mode door that is vacuum actuated to direct the various modes. So there is no recalibration possible of the Left and Right Doors, because there are none. All valves (doors), in the manual system are vacuum actuated and the only electric actuated doors are the Left and Right in the Dual Zone Automatic system."

Now the first thing we need to know is which climate control you have. If you have the manual system, this halfway explains why unplugging the fuse has no effect. My 2001 has the dual climate setup so I'm thinking yours does also. If not, here's another link that will be of interest:

http://vette.tnreeds.com/actuator/actuator.htm

Okay, take your time to read and absorb...:cheers:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Do you have the fuses pulled before you start the car? You should pull the fuses, then turn the car on. At this point the hvac won't be working. Then replace the fuses and it should reset the system and actuator. If this doesn't work, then it's likely the actuator motor that's not working. It's about a $200 part if I remember right.

Hopefully this helps

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Do you have the fuses pulled before you start the car? You should pull the fuses, then turn the car on. At this point the hvac won't be working. Then replace the fuses and it should reset the system and actuator. If this doesn't work, then it's likely the actuator motor that's not working. It's about a $200 part if I remember right.

Hopefully this helps
You don't start the car, just turn the key to the on position. It seems that the Corvette has a lot of stuff that you have to do with the key in this position.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Late night read

OK, I'll do this in the morning. I think I have the procedure right, I'll pull the fuses and then turn the car to on(but no start), then I will replace the fuses. Does it matter which one is first? And yes I have the dual zone HVAC.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
OK, I'll do this in the morning. I think I have the procedure right, I'll pull the fuses and then turn the car to on(but no start), then I will replace the fuses. Does it matter which one is first? And yes I have the dual zone HVAC.
I don't think it matters which one is first. I think you only have to do #27 but just do them both to be on the safe side. If it still doesn't work, try just #27. Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is what happened

First I pulled both fuses, turn key to on, waited several minutes, replaced both fuses and started car, same results. Second, pulled #27 fuse, turned key to on, waited several minutes, replaced fuse, started car, same results. Am I doing this correctly? Do I do anything to the AC system before starting the car? It comes up with the outside air light lit. Do I start the car and then hit the AUTO button? I gotta be doing this wrong.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
First I pulled both fuses, turn key to on, waited several minutes, replaced both fuses and started car, same results. Second, pulled #27 fuse, turned key to on, waited several minutes, replaced fuse, started car, same results. Am I doing this correctly? Do I do anything to the AC system before starting the car? It comes up with the outside air light lit. Do I start the car and then hit the AUTO button? I gotta be doing this wrong.
You did have the air turned on while doing this right? Or, try and turn the air on after you turn on the key. You could actually have a actuator problem so just keep that in mind.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts