Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I have read a lot about the K&N air filter and usually a thought about cutting the lid to allow more air in. Pulled mine off last night to install the new filter. Noticed the lid is metal suprised I figured it would be plastic. It appears the previous owner might have already cut it. it currently has one big opening of about 3" by 13". Is that how they come stock and more opening is required? or has someone already beat me to it. I also notice, when I was cleaning the throttle body that it appears to have that air foil thing. a piece of light alloy bolted on the front of the housing or mouth leading to the butterflys.
Roger

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Roger said:
Hey Guys,
I have read a lot about the K&N air filter and usually a thought about cutting the lid to allow more air in. Pulled mine off last night to install the new filter. Noticed the lid is metal suprised I figured it would be plastic. It appears the previous owner might have already cut it. it currently has one big opening of about 3" by 13". Is that how they come stock and more opening is required? or has someone already beat me to it. I also notice, when I was cleaning the throttle body that it appears to have that air foil thing. a piece of light alloy bolted on the front of the housing or mouth leading to the butterflys.
Roger
3x13? Yep. It's either a replacement assembly, or they cut it open.

Leave the airfoil. Although it's a waste of money to buy one. I have seen dyno results of picking up 1-2 hp. :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pat, that lid could be opened up another 2" wider from top to bottom. from right to left there is nothing left. should I cut it more or will this opening do the job?
Thanks for the quick reply, Roger

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
You could do it, it wouldn't hurt. But, the factory lid with the louvers was adequate.... what you have now is a HUGE improvement...

·
Registered
41 Posts
If it looks anything like this, It's an open lid.

a K&N and open lid will give the same as those $200 dollar kits. The ram air might give a little more but not enough to spend $400 on it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That looks wider top to bottom....

lt1vert looks like that picture will prompt me to do some cutting. I guess the idea is to let more air enter. By the way really like what you did with the outside of the car. I hope my car finally hits the paint shop this week. It keeps getting delayed. The graphics guy keeps trying to sell me on two stripes that together make the width of your stripe. Then he mentioned stripes down low between the wheels. Sounds too much like a ford to me. any opinions on this are welcome, but it kind of bothers me. Obviously, he will do as I say. Thanks for the picture. Roger

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Re: That looks wider top to bottom....

Roger said:
lt1vert looks like that picture will prompt me to do some cutting. I guess the idea is to let more air enter. By the way really like what you did with the outside of the car. I hope my car finally hits the paint shop this week. It keeps getting delayed. The graphics guy keeps trying to sell me on two stripes that together make the width of your stripe. Then he mentioned stripes down low between the wheels. Sounds too much like a ford to me. any opinions on this are welcome, but it kind of bothers me. Obviously, he will do as I say. Thanks for the picture. Roger
Two stripes can look cool..... on Vipers. Just one on a Vette. :thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
1,470 Posts
Now.. i've gone off topic.

*joke* So would 1/2 of a stripe be better on an import? Honda owners rejoice! Now you can have half stripes on all those parts you switched over to "carbon fiber". *unjoke*

Brian.

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Re: Now.. i've gone off topic.

Kod_X said:
*joke* So would 1/2 of a stripe be better on an import? Honda owners rejoice! Now you can have half stripes on all those parts you switched over to "carbon fiber". *unjoke*

Brian.
1/8th stripe.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Re: That looks wider top to bottom....

Roger said:
The graphics guy keeps trying to sell me on two stripes that together make the width of your stripe. Then he mentioned stripes down low between the wheels. Sounds too much like a ford to me. any opinions on this are welcome, but it kind of bothers me.
Go with what you like. I still think the General had the right idea making the stripe for the GS. It's solid and complete. Nothing to break it apart or any gaps to take away from its "intensity".

I gave the guy that did mine all the pictures and specs I could find. He asked to keep them at the end for those customers asking for custom jobs. (he didn't know about the paint scheme) Maybe your painter is the same. Just hasn't seen one yet and he's just used to the ss stripes.

Don't let them sell you on anything. really decide on what you want cause there's no going back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts