Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had '99 Vette in to the Chevy dealer for oil change/transmission flush/anti-freeze flush/change. Was told by technician that I also needed an air/fuel induction service for $139. Car has about 22k on it. Has a very slight rough idle, but it is very, very slight. Question--Can I buy a spray can or two of carb/injection cleaner and spray into the throttle plate area to clean it? Or do I truly need the $140 fix? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Just what is an air/fuel induction service? The only thing I can think of is changing the filters....:huh: What dealer wants to do that? What part of Missouri are you in?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Air/Induction Service

Live in St. Louis area. Air/Induction Service price is listed on the "board" of services at Elco (Enterprise Leasing outlet) Chevy dealer. Assumed it is a "normal" service that dealers provided. I did not ask specifically what the service was. It was listed as a "fail" on the service check list that they gave me. (Most all other things were "pass"). Will a can of injection cleaner do the job? Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Don't know, I would find out just what the service included and then we can decide if we can do it our self...:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Air/Fuel Induction

I called the Chevy dealer. The service guy said that they put a liquid chemical into the engine and run it to get rid of the carbon deposits. No filters are changed. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Sounds like a good can of injector cleaner would be just as good... Lets see if there is any one else out there that has an opinion on this..

·
Registered
594 Posts
I'd definitely do it myself...just make sure the throttle body/injector cleaner is safe for all throttle bodies.

That sounds like one of those "dealer services" where they really stick it to unsuspecting customers who care about their cars and can't say no to "well, you really should do it to keep your car in top form...."

Anything I feel confident in doing myself, I do it...with MUCH advice/assistance from the DC crew!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Air/Fuel Induction

Thanks guys for the comments.

I did a quick web check and found the following information posted by some Chevy dealers. Here's the text: This service includes cleaning the fuel injectors and throttle bore or body, which means easier starting, less stalling and smoother idling. In addition, we flush the complete fuel system to protect it against rust and corrosion

I agree, it sure sounds like a good injector cleaner used both in the gas tank and blown through the intake should work.

Thanks for the inputs.

·
Registered
121 Posts
basically they're just using a top end cleaner, perfer seafoam to be honest as i have seen better results than from the GM branded cleaner and it only costs $7~ per can, usually i use one can but due to your larger engines than the 6 in my car i would suggest using two cans, one full can in the fuel tank with a fill up (or atleast a half tank fill) and then around 1/3~1/2 a can in your oil and the rest in a vacume line, i use the PCV hose (REMOVE THE PCV!!) and just have someone on the gas or give it a lil throttle by hand as you allow the vacume from your engine to suck up the seafoam, once thats done shut your engine off and wait aproximately 15 minutes before restarting

it should be noted thatsmoking is normal, if you have a higher mileage car sometimes it can turn into a smoke show but its normal, just make sure your slowly allowing the vacume to pull the seafoam from the container and never fully submerge the hose

its kinda like you would do to steam clean the combustion chambers but its a lil safer with seafoam as its combustable and theres a lot less of a chance of hydrolocking your engine ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts