Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My birthday and fathers day is coming up and my wife wants to get me something for the vette. I want to be able to tune my engine better than just reading the plugs. Whats better? A wide band air/fuel ratio monitor or a egt monitor. I was looking through summit and am looking at a innovate motorsports air/fuel monitor or a percys egt monitor. Does any company make one that does both? Or something better?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I'd go for the wide band oxygen sensor. I ordered a EGT and it won't be in for about a week. It will be interesting to run both and see the comparison.
Lets say you are using the oxygen sensor and it says 12.5? You know right away that the mixture is rich and you lean it out until you get say a 13.8 reading.
Now with the EGT you get a reading of 1220??? What are you going to do with that?? Lean it out?? The exhaust gas temperature would be nice to know and if you run into the 1420 range you know you have a problem but how do you use it for setting your jetting if you reads again in the 1200 range??
The oxygen sensor leaves no doubt where you are and where you want to be.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
I would go for the wide band air/fuel ratio monitor.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any suggestions of companies and best place to buy?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I just bought the LM-1. I bought it because it has a calibration button that I can check the unit out for deteriation of the sensor. I did not want it on all the time so I remove it and use it to tune other cars.
I check out a system , rejet, recheck and then remove the system.
I don't need to run it daily, just spot checks.
The LM-1 comes highly recommended and has a web site to support it.
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lm1.php

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Strider, I stopped by my local advanced auto and did a price check they will sell it to me for $330 plus tax, which is cheaper than summit. Anyway do I need anything besides the LM-1, should I get the tach connector. I would like to be able to see where my rpms to air/fuel are.

Does it come with any kind of tuning tips? I have no idea what to do with the info it will tell me. I have a 750 barry grant race demon. How will I know if I need to rejet, change air bleeds or valve bodies????

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have used the LM-1, and it works very well. I didn't have a bung in my sidepipes so I bought the tailpipe clamp kit. It makes it easy to use on any car that does not have the weld in bung. You can buy them from Jegs and Summit.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Does it come with any kind of tuning tips? I have no idea what to do with the info it will tell me. I have a 750 barry grant race demon. How will I know if I need to rejet, change air bleeds or valve bodies????

This was a figure that was included with my Wide Band A/F meter. It gives you a general idea of what to look for.

Dyno testing will optimize for your specific need.

Bullshark

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Hang around here and read up on what others have to say
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/forums/
Also I will post a link you a great carb tuning article.
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/resources/Stan1.php
good article in setting up a dual purpose car.
I didn't want the rpm attachment. I have the unit in the car and just watch it while driving under different conditions. I know the rpm and I can see the ratio. I run a test run, mentally keep track of my ratio and then go home and do something about it. I don't dump it on my computer.
I wouldn't bother with the rpm readout.
I will be running the EGT when it comes in to compare.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts