Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got and installed the K&N aircharger kit today. For those that don't know, it's very similar to the Halltech system (but I could get a better deal on it!)

ANYWAYS, I washed the car after install and opened the hood to clean around the edges when I noticed WATER on the "bottom" end of the filter rim and some water drips on the top end, and also water in the "basin" of the shroud.

Has anybody else had this problem? It can't be good to have a wet filter, let alone if the engine injests the water. What about in a rain storm!?!

The water apparently crept in through the hood/front fascia opening...

Ideas?

·
Registered
99 Posts
WestCoast Corvettes carries a front hood seal to fix this problem. I noticed this on my C5 and the seal fixed the problem. Also it helps keep the engine compartment cleaner. they are also a supporting vendor. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
check the hood seal on your C6. My OEM seal keeps the water out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Very common to get water past the hood seal. That is why the stock airbox has a rainshield cover over it. The good news is the K&N filter media can take some water, it'll also drain out the bottom harmlessly.

Compare it to the stock airbox, if water gets on the paper filter it'll ruin the media, the stock airbox also "holds" the water in the bottom of the 2 boxes since there's no way for the water to drain out....it'll puddle on the bottom of the boxes. This occurs when the stock rain shield is removed.

Don't worry too much about it, the top breathers have been used for years now without problems, the water will pass and drain out the bottom of the filter.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Very common to get water past the hood seal. That is why the stock airbox has a rainshield cover over it. The good news is the K&N filter media can take some water, it'll also drain out the bottom harmlessly.

Compare it to the stock airbox, if water gets on the paper filter it'll ruin the media, the stock airbox also "holds" the water in the bottom of the 2 boxes since there's no way for the water to drain out....it'll puddle on the bottom of the boxes. This occurs when the stock rain shield is removed.

Don't worry too much about it, the top breathers have been used for years now without problems, the water will pass and drain out the bottom of the filter.
:agree:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts