Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like to get some feedback on what is the favorite or best buy for the money on air inductions or intake systems.

There are many out there and many differents systems. The one I am considering are the following, but if there are other good ones please let me know:

--Dual flow air intake system with the K&N filters.
--Vortex Ram Air Induction System
--Donaldson C5 Air Intake System
--Hurricane Air Intake Systems

I want something that works, gives great horsepower and will not require messing with the settings or computer. I am also concern with water getting into the system.

If they are other good systems please let me know.

2001 C5, Automatic!

Thanks.:partyon:

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
I had a Blackwing on my 98 before I sold it. The only bad thing was the car had to relearn idle. Took about a week. I didn't dyno and I don't drag race but I thought I noticed a bit more response when I "tapped" the pedal;) ;) .

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
36,409 Posts
Blackwing also. Installation was very easy except the top mounting grommets didn't line up just right but the front ones did. I finally gave up and just used the front holes. I figured that it was fastened there abd at the throttle body so it wasn't going any where. stillcreazee is right about learning idle. The is a procedure for doing this but I opted for the "driving" way also. It takes about 50 miles. There was no noticible power increase at first but now I can tell a dofference especially at low rpm.

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,667 Posts
take a look at the halltech tunnel-ram,that and the vara-ram flow the best,then theres the rest of the filters described.the duel cone filters create turbulance in front of the mass air fow sensor.if you want the most power,its one of those two systems.they go from the throttle body to the front of the car.:D happy 4th,Todd.

B

·
0 Posts
Well I am still on the fence about which one to get myself between the Blackwing and the Vararam. Not quite sure if the extra $200 for the Vararam is worth it. I have heard great things about both.

·
Registered
12,667 Posts
its pretty new,not alot of people have it yet,i like where it says in the add,safe in a hurricane or something like that.i have the halltech T-1,and its a great product that took time off my 1/4 mile and added 2 mph.i can purchase the bottom half of the tunnel ram and attach it to the middle of my T-1,that was smart thinking on halltechs behalf:partyon: i have to get headers first then i will get the tunnel ram.if you get it,please show photos(im going to paint mine red.later,Todd.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Blackwing for me but VaraRam has a "wide mouth" or sumthin like the Blackwing...I am happy with my Blackwing but to tell you the truth...I put the '02 Z06 airbox on my '01 coupe before the blackwing and there was not much difference...the change was noticable over the stock airbox but '02 Z06 cover to Blackwing was negligable...my .02...
Bill

·
Registered
17 Posts
Abnsteel06 said:
Would like to get some feedback on what is the favorite or best buy for the money on air inductions or intake systems.

There are many out there and many differents systems. The one I am considering are the following, but if there are other good ones please let me know:

--Dual flow air intake system with the K&N filters.
--Vortex Ram Air Induction System
--Donaldson C5 Air Intake System
--Hurricane Air Intake Systems

I want something that works, gives great horsepower and will not require messing with the settings or computer. I am also concern with water getting into the system.

If they are other good systems please let me know.

2001 C5, Automatic!

Thanks.:partyon:
Check out:

http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/0304vt_ramair/

·
Registered
27 Posts
You actually don't have much to lose by going with a Z06 cover and K&N (stock) filter. Total cost should be less than $100, time to install about 10 minutes and it's GM engineered to protect from water and won't void any warrenty.

Others have just opened up their existing cover by drilling big holes or cutting out with a dremel tool. Same idea, engine can breathe better, but be sure you install a hood seal if you do that; water on the hood will drain right into your intake otherwise.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I put the VaraRam on my vette & the difference was amazing - I felt the increase in pickup immediately ... a very good product ...

:buhbye: :) :cheers:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Torch Red 2K said:
Blackwing also. Installation was very easy except the top mounting grommets didn't line up just right but the front ones did. I finally gave up and just used the front holes. I figured that it was fastened there abd at the throttle body so it wasn't going any where. stillcreazee is right about learning idle. The is a procedure for doing this but I opted for the "driving" way also. It takes about 50 miles. There was no noticible power increase at first but now I can tell a dofference especially at low rpm.
I agree...
I installed my Blackwing over the 4th, and had the same issue with the top grommets on my 2003 coupe. Its hard to describe unless you see it, but not fitting the top grommets is really not an issue when you see how the bottom and top are connected.

Been real happy with my 'wing, would recommend it to anyone.

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Let me tell you something on that subject. I do a bit of experimenting on my carburated 72 and my FI T-Bird.

The best system is the one that offers
1-the most square inches of filter area
2-the least amount of bends
3-the smoothest ducting. In other words, none of the "corregated" flex stuff you get from the factory.

FI or carburated, you want the inlet air as unobstructed and as turbulent free as possible. Even with a blower which packs huge amounts of air volume into the throat, there's more efficency when it's a straight shot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree.

Every foot of corogated (SP?) tubing equals 10 feet of straight tubing in the airflow world. Just from my experience with very large (500 HP) industrial fans the corogated ducting was to be avoided. These fans moved almost 40000 CFM. Strraight and smooth transitions were paramont to getting airflow the same.
Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
12,667 Posts
devo said:
i have a Halltech T1 seems like it works as well as all the other intakes ive had
welcome to the forum Devo,is that like the band,i remember when there first album came out,damn its been 20 years already,i also have the T-1,look in that terrible picture below and see how i cut out the fan shroud around the filter,i also drilled holes in the plastic by the fog lights,now its a true cold air system,i could feel the difference after cutting the shroud,driven in heavy rain many times with out any problems at all.later,Todd.

·
Registered
16 Posts
:buhbye: :buhbye: :buhbye:

Hi everyone. This is my first post on this forum.

I installed the Donaldson soon after getting my 2000 Mil Yellow 6sp coupe and enjoy it.

One thing you need to consider also is the air-bridge. the Donaldson doesn't come with one.

No matter what improvements you make, you will be restricted by the "weakest link" in the air-flow path. So, when you open up a section with a better solution, you may be just moving your restriction downstream. Look at the whole picture, from air-intake to exhaust out-let, and come up with a master plan. You may not be able to swap out everything at once, but over time you need to address each area in the air-flow.

·
Registered
12,667 Posts
HoosieVette said:
:buhbye: :buhbye: :buhbye:

Hi everyone. This is my first post on this forum.

I installed the Donaldson soon after getting my 2000 Mil Yellow 6sp coupe and enjoy it.

One thing you need to consider also is the air-bridge. the Donaldson doesn't come with one.

No matter what improvements you make, you will be restricted by the "weakest link" in the air-flow path. So, when you open up a section with a better solution, you may be just moving your restriction downstream. Look at the whole picture, from air-intake to exhaust out-let, and come up with a master plan. You may not be able to swap out everything at once, but over time you need to address each area in the air-flow.
welcome to the froum,if you look at my picture,the halltech goes all the way to the t-body and comes with the red hose,$350 bucks,hard to beat that,everyone thinks i have a supercharger because the intake has a mean whistle,and my exhaust is very loud,can still hear the whistle,good times,later,Todd.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts