Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, my car is pretty much there...

I am noticing this strange noise.. its pully chatter of some sort on the AIR pump... I cant tell if its the AIR pump itself or if its the pully that attaches to it!?

The pully looks to be a little wobbly, dunno if thats normal or what?:huh:

Its pretty loud, and pretty annoying lol.

Any thoughts?

Thanks dudes.

·
DC Crew
20,694 Posts
The AIR pump does come apart fairly easy. At one point the internals of mine were scraping inside, so it was gutted with a hammer and chisel. You may be able to see any marks from scraping inside.

·
Registered
547 Posts
If you have no emissions requirements in your area, get a pulley and be done with it.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So my alternator seized on me, so I had to change it, I also put in a new smog pump...

turns out the smog pump is not whats making the chatter noise, the cause seems to be the pulley that attaches to it! It has a wobble to it, i spun the pump with the pulley attached to it before I put the belt on, and I noticed the slight wobble, and it makes a scratching chatter sound as it spins... I put the belt on anyways thinking the tension would take care of that, but nope, still wobbles, any ideas on how to remedy this situation?

is it the way it sits on the pump possibly?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Mine makes the same noise. It is most likely the vanes inside the pump scraping against the inside of the housing. If you have it off the car it's only 3 bolts holding it together. you can pop it open and investigate it further.
I don't have emissions so my pump is in the dead parts pile.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
its the pulley itself, when i had it off i spun the pump without the pulley, and no scraping noise.. the pulley has somewhat of a wobble...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts