Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... Awhile back I was going through my fuses and I saw one was blown. Looked it up. And it said it was my "Air pump". So I went out and spent 5 fricken dollars on a single fuse.

I put the new fuse in. Turned the car on and self destruction soon pursued!

I heard a loud screeching then a small pop. And the noise was gone. Look at the fuse. And it was blown again.

NOW FOR THE REAL QUESTION!

I am purchasing Melrose headers and I dont want to spend the 50+ dollars on the AIR fitting... Do I need it? And how do I delete the air pump? What is its purpose? Should I fix the problem?

Thanks guys!

Joe

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
AIR is short for 'air injection reaction'. The job of the air pump is to force fresh oxygen rich air into the cumbustion chambers to aid in the burning of any left over HC or COs. Do you need it? probably not unless you have to have you car emission tested.

·
DC Crew
1,470 Posts
So... Awhile back I was going through my fuses and I saw one was blown. Looked it up. And it said it was my "Air pump". So I went out and spent 5 fricken dollars on a single fuse.

I put the new fuse in. Turned the car on and self destruction soon pursued!

I heard a loud screeching then a small pop. And the noise was gone. Look at the fuse. And it was blown again.

NOW FOR THE REAL QUESTION!

I am purchasing Melrose headers and I dont want to spend the 50+ dollars on the AIR fitting... Do I need it? And how do I delete the air pump? What is its purpose? Should I fix the problem?

Thanks guys!

Joe
The purpose of the AIR pump is heat the primary cat quickly after start up to reduce emissions while the engine is warming to temperature. After the engine reaches the set temp,a solenoid stops the gases from flowing and then the pump becomes nonfunctional.

So, no it won't really matter to sniffer, if your engine is properly warmed up and is in good tuned condition with working carts.

Now! Depending on your states visual inspection, it might matter. When I lived in Phoenix I just hooked it back up, connected the lines and passed visual.. came back home and took everything off. Now, I live in a emission free county and have LT headers and no air system.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok well I will probably be pulling the Pump sometime next week... Im going on vaca. this week! :D

Joe

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Is your car an L-98? If so you will need to either gut your pump or get an eliminator bracket. I used a supercharger for that.:devil:

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is your car an L-98? If so you will need to either gut your pump or get an eliminator bracket. I used a supercharger for that.:devil:
Nope. LT1 Btw... *evil tone of voice* Thanks to you! I am buying melrose headers... HAHA! I have to stop spending money!!!!!!!! :partyon:

Joe

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 - 8 of 8 Posts