Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
pros-tiny increase of hp and a tiny increase of tq, cleans up the engine bay, none of that airplane motor sound, engine will rev a little faster.

Cons-resale value goes down, you will fail emissions, it costs money to either buy or build the elim kit (damn this whole money concept), depending on what way you go (build or buy) you will have to buy a new belt. If you remove off all the hoses you will have to cap the manafolds somehow.

I think thats about it. I plan on doing mine as soon as i get my headers and find all the pieces to build an elim (im not lookin to hard right now:laughing: ) If anybody else can think of anything please share it with us.

·
Banned
1,471 Posts
Mid America sells a pully that goes in place of the A.I.R pump so you can still use the same belt.. but i think it's kinda expensive tho..

·
Registered
796 Posts
Okay guys, this may be a stupid question but here goes anyway. Why do we need to purchase a bracket/pulley to replace the AIR pump? Couldn't we just eliminate the whole thing by getting a shorter belt ?

:lookinup:

·
Registered
458 Posts
I just took it off and got a shorter belt I cannot remember the size but I think its like 2 or 4 inches shorter than the regular replacement belt. I have no problems with it.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Thanks Placid. I think that is the route I am going to take and use the buck fifty for something else.

:partyon:

·
Registered
149 Posts
placidthree, your car, being an '84 crossfire, has a different pulley set up compared to other C4s.

Par 4nut, have a look at your car and imagine having no air pump. There's no way (that I can see) a shorter belt wouldn't foul on itself if you just remove the air pump. I've also considered removing mine but I don't like the look of the eliminator pulley kit - it doesn't look right in my opinion.

The Camaro guys have worked out a way to do it without resorting to an aftermarket looking eliminator kit. More info here but I don't know if this will work on a Vette. Looking at the photos in that link, it appears Camaro accessories sit further forward that those on a Corvette.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
No codes all the air pump does is pump fresh air into the cat. You can take your air pump apart and remove the insides. That way it won't work and you will have the stock look and no crazy pulley bracket. Be ready to break the piping across the front of the motor unless you want to remove all you acc. to get it out. I just removed all of mine for my blower install and it sure cleans up under there without all of that.

·
Registered
796 Posts
We decided to gut the AIR pump after looking at the cost of the eliminator kit on Mid America. That thing is damn expensive. On to breaking the pipe across the front of the engine. This should be fun !!

:crazy:

·
Registered
724 Posts
I bought the eliminator from zip products and still paid 150.00 for it. I will have to admit it cleaned things up under my hood though. This thing could easily be made though. I could actually make these very easily by using mine as a template. Anyone interested? If enough of you are, I'll make up some and sell them for about half of what everyone else wants.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Hey Doug,
I'll take one !! I'll be down there in two weeks to see Hootie and the Blowfish at HOB. Get it done by then and I'll just stop by and pick it up. I know thats a little soon , but it doesn't hurt to ask.

See ya,
Reid

1 - 15 of 15 Posts