Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm this close to buying a 77' or 79' vette but I'm just not sold yet. These years came with a measly 180hp or 220 for the L82 (if your lucky). I want some real performance that can back up the corvette name, this isnt gonna be any show car. Looks will be put aside for balls to the walls performance, but all the while have driveability. The vette is gonna cost me about 4-5 grand and I wanna know if I can get in the 12-13 sec range for the 1/4 mile as well as a good 0-60 time for a budget price in a relatively short amount of time. If you have any suggestions on where I can start, where to find parts, how they help, how much they cost or what you did yourself, that would ease my troubled mind. I plan on putting in a new tranny (700R4?) as well as cam, heads, headers, street legal slicks, carb and maybe even a supercharger because I believe they can be had for about 2-3 grand and offer almost 45-55% more hp and torque. Do you think with about 10K, inlcluding the price of the car, I can get the performance I desire? I"m a little young, but I know the basics of beefing up most cars, just not really much about beefing up vettes. I can do most of the work along with my dad and some buddies so labor is not a problem. I feel I'm a dying breed of teenage muscle car enthusiasts and I definitely dont want to be put in my place by some punk in an Import with a fart can. PLEASE help an endangered species by putting in your 2 cents. Forever Grateful, BlakBlur.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,679 Posts
If the car is driveable now and you want to keep reliability in the drivetrain, you might want to consider a crate motor. They can be had from a 150hp 305 to the 502/502 and you get a warranty to boot. Arrive in a couple of weeks and can be installed in a day.
Just my .02

·
Registered
588 Posts
If you get the car for 4K that leaves you with 6K to spend on it. For 4K you don't get top drawer Corvette that's for sure, they can be real basket cases, you might end up spending that 6K just to get it on the road and working well. But if you score a real winner, like a 79 vette with completely overhauled drivetrain, suspension and brakes I can't see why you shouldn't be able to get the car into 13s with the 6K... Good luck what ever you decide to do!:cheers:

·
Registered
749 Posts
remember as you build the engine: there's always another car out there faster than yours. have fun chasing the proverbial tail.:)

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,679 Posts
Originally posted by mga ...<br>
remember as you build the engine: there's always another car out there faster than yours. have fun chasing the proverbial tail.:)<br>
+
The first few seconds come "easy" after that it's 1/10 at a time. That's the expensive part

·
Registered
175 Posts
Need to agree with groovyjay I am 20 and got my 77 at 15 for 6k it took about 2.5 years to get it running reliably again (might have taken less time if I knew what I was getting into) but I hava now gotten it to the lets make it bad stage, and know low 13's is pretty achievable. My recomendation is going the crate motor route of a zz4 it is 355hp and 405 torque.

Final question are the cars you looking at manual or auto?
If manual recomend swiching to a Center Force Clutch either stage 1 or 2 if you wanna keep streetable, stage 3 if you are only using it to race. Also switching over to the Hurst 4 speed shifter it is alot smother and a shorter throw than the GM factory(really not desgned for the strip).

If it is an auto you can do alot with just a torque converter and shift kit, not as familiar with this, but have budies with tran-ams and camaros that go this route.

As far as buying the vette make sure there is not rust where you put your feet, that means the frame around the glass is rusting and stay away.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Originally posted by 84 GRANDSPORT ...<br>
I think it could be done!:thumbsup:<br>
:agree:

If Chevy High Performance and Car Craft are right, you can do it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Holley makes a package for a stock 350 with O deck height. It comes with heads, cam, and intake matched together. With a 750 cfm the claim 450 hp.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Those matched kits are nice, they take ll the guesswork out of what parts to use & they are VERY affordable The kits I've seen are Dyno'd With Headders (not In kit)
The crate motors are more expencive but that 3/36 warr. is hard to beat
personally, i'd spend as much as possible in the car get it in the air & take a good look around, it's no fun bustin' parts every time you nail it!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts