Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Absolutely love it. What fun!

Now, I totally dig the sophistication of the cars. Fine pieces of machinery.

Now, the Mustang, Camaro and L88 Vette stick like glue. The tires were perfect out of the box.

Now, let's talk about the TVR. I can't get that thing to stay glued to the track. It's like it's on ice.

I followed the instructions on your website, and trued the rear tires till they were flat and smooth after I noticed it was riding on the outside of the tires. So, that problem is fixed. I also cleaned the tires after sanding with masking tape per instructions.

That helped quite a bit, but still it handles nothing like the others. So, I took them apart to find out why. It appears the cars that handle great are rear engine mounted cars. The TVR is the only front mounted engine I have. And, it seems like this car needs some weight in the rear.

Any links to some tuning articles about how I can get this pup to stick better? This car is wicked-fast. One rap of the throttle in a turn and it's sideways!

Also, it has "slicks" were the rest of the cars have a treaded tire. Why the difference?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Actually, you'll find the L88 is also front motor config. Slicks is actually preferred over tread, since the track is fairly smooth. Tread is no help. I don't have my TVR in front of me, but I think it is almost identical to the L88. Try truing the tires a bit more, but don't use full throttle when truing. There are two reasons for this. The tires on the TVR are softer, and will go out of round at higher RPM's. Keep the tire speed down when truing...

(for those that don't know what I'm talking about...Tire Truing 101 )

Truing the tires further will effectively lower the traction magnet to the track. The other option is adding another magnet.

The other reason to keep the speed down is that the drive shaft bushings are a weak link in these forward motor cars.

Keep in mind too that high magnet cars are only a starting point. At some point you newbies need to learn to slow down for the corners! :laughing:

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
I just checked out your site. That's insane!!:surprised I didn't know there was that much to that. Very cool. NOw you got me wanting to do it.

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
alleydude said:
Keep in mind too that high magnet cars are only a starting point. At some point you newbies need to learn to slow down for the corners! :laughing:
LOL! Yea, I kept pointing out to my son that these things are expensive! If I did a barrel roll down the track and came to rest in his lane, he found it necessary to accelerate into me!

But, we do stay on the track great. The other 3 cars stick well unless you push your luck. But, that TVR is slipery.

Time to give the tires one more shot at truing at a lower RPM (oops). I guess I will order some stronger magnets!

·
Registered
12 Posts
AlleyDude,
Don't know if you saw my post in reply to Patrick's "What my Ten-Year-Old is Getting For Christmas" post, but I got enthused and ordered the Formula 1 (30 feet) set from you, along with some additional cars. Looks like a blast! Can't wait for them to come. Your web site has gotten me hooked, and I've been scouring additional web sites all day looking at other stuff.
I too have a couple of questions: Now that I've ordered from you, I trust you do ship to FPO Military addresses?
Also, is the F-1 set that I ordered, the Sport Track? Can't really tell from the web site.
Like the other guys have said, I had no idea there was this much out there on this hobby, and I'm looking forward to seeing what it's all about. I read one of your editorials that said the hobby needs to be advertised in other mediums, and I couldn't agree more. Everyone knows about scale trains and R/C aircraft, but I think slot cars are a bit obscured. Thanks for the great web site.
MiG-19

·
Registered
216 Posts
I wish I was actually selling something, but the fact is, SlotCarIllustrated.com is just a magazine. I don't sell anything other than advertising space. The dealers on my site are just sponsors, or advertisers, all of which are highly recommended.

The fact is, I am now disassociating myself with the site, as I have become quite burnt out with 'webmastering", as I have been doing this hardcore since 1997. I need a break. Alan from 132Slotcar.us is now running the show there.

I still race slotcars, and will direct people to SCI, but I am only a consultant to them now.

However, I am sure that no matter which dealer you purchased from, they will see that you get it, ESPECIALLY if you are located at an APO/FPO.

If you look at the box...

You'll see a "Sport" logo in the lower right hand corner. You'll love this set, and the cars are VERY fast. Just be aware that wings are likely to break sooner or later, keep some Krazy Glue on hand.

Glad to see so much interest. It really is addictive, and great family fun.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ken,
Thanks for the reply and the info. Hope you and yours have a great New Years, you too Patrick!
MiG-19

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MiG-19 said:
Ken,
Thanks for the reply and the info. Hope you and yours have a great New Years, you too Patrick!
MiG-19
We can exchange notes!

Unlike your typical tyco set, this set allows for two power supplies, one for each lane. The sets come with one, and that's not all bad.

What happens is that when one car flies off the track, the sudden power drop with cause a lslight power surge to the other lane and it can make the other car lose it on a turn and wipe out too.

When one car wipes out I immediately reduce speed... or I'll have to go across the room to get my car.

I am beginning to dislike the controls. I have big hands and I just can't get comfortable on them... so cooler controllers are on the agenda.

I am trying to learn more about the Race Management System. The Race Management System, requires a Computer to operate, At least Pentium and with a serial port. I am curious to know what stats it can generate... or if it hangs off another track add-on device.

The also have a mini dyno!

And, I want to get a digital lap counter so I can do some 50 lap races with my son. The lap counter can help you during test and tune of the cars. You can then see if you are making any improvements. But, I'm having a hard time finding much info on them or comparisons.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,518 Posts
MiG-19 said:
....in reply to Patrick's "What my Ten-Year-Old is Getting For Christmas" post,...
Boobs are like slot cars. They're made for the kids, but it's usually the fathers that end up playing with them:laughing:

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:laughing: Right on!

We are just loving these slot-cars. Played last night for a couple of hours, and we were laughing our asses off. Good fun!

I need to start price shopping for a lap counter... and I need some additional track and a new magnet for the TVR. Damn car is so wicked fast, one rap of the throttle through a bend and that car is sideways and tumbling....:excited:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts