Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've scraped all the paint off
i've sanded off the old bondo and repaired most of the cracks
Will i need gel coat or will epoxy primer cover the bare fiberglass???
1973 w/ new fiberglass nose

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
JCswm said:
I've scraped all the paint off
i've sanded off the old bondo and repaired most of the cracks
Will i need gel coat or will epoxy primer cover the bare fiberglass???
1973 w/ new fiberglass nose
Who is doing the final painting? If someone else, then I'd ask them so you are using a compatible paint system.

And, when do you plan to paint the car (timeframe)?

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1st full coat of Primer by x-mas
paint by spring
I'm going to paint it myself with a painter friend in a brand new $750,000 paint booth/Drier
I hope it turns out!!.... where's that finger crossing smilie??

·
Registered
18 Posts
JCswm said:
1st full coat of Primer by x-mas
paint by spring
I'm going to paint it myself with a painter friend in a brand new $750,000 paint booth/Drier
I hope it turns out!!.... where's that finger crossing smilie??
Most all the work is in the prep! I'm going to lay down a new coat of Meduim Blue Metallic on my daughter's 87 coupe this spring also. Good luck on your job!:buhbye:

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Careful of having it sit so long in primer.

Primer will soak up a lot of junk from the air...might want to ask around if that is a good idea.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After the first coat of primer I'll be filling in low spots installing a pace car style front spoiler and hand sanding, She won't be just sitting there "soaking up junk"

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
ChiMan said:
Careful of having it sit so long in primer.

Primer will soak up a lot of junk from the air...might want to ask around if that is a good idea.
Chiman is absolutely correct. I agree completely on this.

Primer is a sponge and a cavity to grab anything and everything in the air. Any humidity, anything carried through the air can contaminate the primer and you'll see bubbling paint. The longer the primer sits, the worse off you are.

If your painter is ok with this, I suspect he is going to do some top-notch final surface prep when it arrives at his booth, including sanding and another coat of primer/sealer prior to painting.

Bubbling paint is almost always the paint lifting off the primer, not the paint and primer lifting off the surface.

What color are you painting this pup?

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mille Migila red
I think That's how it's spelled

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have been painting Corvettes for over 35 yrs. I would prime with PPG's DP epoxy primer using the 401 hardner. Then follow w/3 coats of K36 which is a primer sufacer. Block that down & put 3 more coats of K36 sand 2nd time.
It should now be ready for the top coat. I use a single stage(DCC) for a non metallic paint.

If still in doubt contact your local PPG paint rep. or go to a body & paint forum & ask the same question. Try www.autobodystore.com
Don

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
How does the single stage turn out compared to base/clear? Got any pics of your work? You use the PPG concept line?

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
don meyer said:
I have been painting Corvettes for over 35 yrs. I would prime with PPG's DP epoxy primer using the 401 hardner. Then follow w/3 coats of K36 which is a primer sufacer. Block that down & put 3 more coats of K36 sand 2nd time.
It should now be ready for the top coat. I use a single stage(DCC) for a non metallic paint.

If still in doubt contact your local PPG paint rep. or go to a body & paint forum & ask the same question. Try www.autobodystore.com
Don
I agree completely with Don. I used the single stage DCC on my 69. it turned out great. see the pics in the C3 gallery. PPG eoxy primers do a great job over bare fiberglass. I gelcoated my car, but never again. That stuff was a MESS, and nearly impossible to block sand.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The look of the paint depnds on your prep work & the color sanding & buff. I sand with 1500 wet using a lot of water so the paint particles sanded off do not scratch. I then buff with 3m's finess-it using a wool pad then, a glaze using a blk foam pad.

I painted my Rolls Royce blk w/single stage PPG DCC & It looks great. Again go to the web site In my above post. There is a world of info there.......Don

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
don meyer said:

Don
:agree: :agree: :agree:
GOT EVEN BETTER NEWS TODAY.... the PPG dealer is trying to get all our business and I can get my paint and primer at 1/2 COST!!! not 1/2 list, 1/2 cost!!!
I'm getting excited, I'm almost done with the "pre-prep" work and my first coat of epoxy primer goes on next weekend! the hood comes off tomarrow for some minor repairs and a little work on the doors & I'll be shooting primer!!!
BAD news.... my Digital camera died after 5 years of trouble free service!! so pics will be a little slow (35mm converted) but I'll keep taking pics!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts