Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all you ALMS fans that look forward to the races on TV, you will need to be going to your computer starting with Sebring.

It seems ALMS has signed a deal for the next three years with ESPN.com and ABC. The live broadcast of qualifying and the race will be streaming over the internet on ESPN3.com and a recap the following day on ABC. I looked at the schedule and ABC will do a recap of the 12 hours of Sebring in a grand total of 1 &1/2 hours.

I don't know about you, but I am not looking forward to sitting in front of my 20" computer monitor to watch 12 hours of Sebring, when I any use to watching it on my 55" HDTV.

If you read what ALMS management has to say about it, you get the idea that they are basically looking to a new group of fans. They did not seem to concerned that many of the hard core fans have been with them for years and maybe not 100% techie involved. They seem to say that the younger generation is totally involved in computers and the internet so this seems to be a good way to draw in new fans. I agree it may add some to the fan base, but how many will it lose?

Here is a link to the ALMS web site and the writeup as well as the complete race broadcast schedule.

http://www.americanlemans.com/primary1.php?cat=news|15452

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
Well, look at it this way. If this approach draws in more fans, then the coverage can increase next year. I am disappointed that they will not have full coverage on television, but I don't mind hooking my laptop up to the big screen if they offer an HD feed via the web. The one thing that this will hurt is the fans who like to get together in the local sports bar and watch full coverage of the sprint races on TV.

Let's be honest. If we're on DC complaining about it, we obviously have internet access and will be able to watch.

:rolleyes:

·
Supporting Dealer
307 Posts
Just throwing this out there, but the article I read in AutoWeek suggested also that we might be able to watch the live races on ESPN's program for Xbox 360.

There's an ESPN application you can download and ESPN suggested they'd show the races live on ESPN3. That would at least let us watch them on the TV, and if it's available, that's how I plan to watch. I watched a few bowl games that way last weekend (in HD), and it worked great!

FYI

K. Andrew Serum
Marketing Manager
Superior Chevrolet
www.chevyusa.com

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, look at it this way. If this approach draws in more fans, then the coverage can increase next year. I am disappointed that they will not have full coverage on television, but I don't mind hooking my laptop up to the big screen if they offer an HD feed via the web. The one thing that this will hurt is the fans who like to get together in the local sports bar and watch full coverage of the sprint races on TV.

Let's be honest. If we're on DC complaining about it, we obviously have internet access and will be able to watch.

:rolleyes:
There is a big difference in watching it on a 20" pc monitor and watching it on a 55" HDTV. All of us don't have lap tops. Plus I tried out the video on ESPN3.com last night and I sure was not impressed with it. I watched the Mid Ohio race last year on the ALMS site and it was nice and clear and sharp. Cannot say the same for last nights football game.

The idea of hooking up to the TV is there I understand, it just means spending money for what would be needed to accomplish it.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just throwing this out there, but the article I read in AutoWeek suggested also that we might be able to watch the live races on ESPN's program for Xbox 360.

There's an ESPN application you can download and ESPN suggested they'd show the races live on ESPN3. That would at least let us watch them on the TV, and if it's available, that's how I plan to watch. I watched a few bowl games that way last weekend (in HD), and it worked great!

FYI

K. Andrew Serum
Marketing Manager
Superior Chevrolet
www.chevyusa.com
That is a great idea, now all I need to do is go out and buy an XBox 360.

The whole point I was trying to make, is that it appears that ALMS is saying to long time fans and viewers, is we don't really care if you are not 100% up on the latest technology, but if you want to watch our races you will need to get there. If not watch the ABC rebroadcast the following day, and if you have had the privilege of watching a race event on ABC you know that will be truly enjoyable.
Also, I have been reading a viewers responses on the ALMS Facebook site as well as BadBoyVette’s and the Canadian’s have been saying that they cannot receive ESPN3.com as well as many other viewers are stating that there local cable provider does not offer ESPN3.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts