Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Cleaner than Stock, Faster than Phock
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, The Stock HSR is @ 1.0" too tall for a C4 hood,,,,but it has an @ 8" runner so it is longer than the Miniram by 5" but shorter than the Super ram by 13"

I like it because is is easy to install and maintain. Here is a pic from Holley.

Here are some pics of the progress I have made in cutting this to fit under my 85 C4 hood.

Before

After cutting the Plenum down to an overall height of 2.900 inches

Welded back together

Pic of the Holley Stealth Ram after Powder Coat

Trial fit of the Plenum BEFORE welding

Hogged out Throttle Body Spacer Block

Altered Thermo Housing

·
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Engine specs;
406-CI
Bullet Billet Custom Grind HR cam 233/233, 284/289, .576 lift w/1.6rr's
11:1 CR
68 CC, AFR 210 heads, 300 CFM @ .600 lift
Wiseco forged Pistons, Eagle Forged Rods, Cast Crank.
Centerforce 400 Crank Flywheel / Centerforce DF II Clutch
Flow Kooler Water pump w/ Dewitts Radiator
ZF 6 speed , Hurst Billet Shifter
3.45 rear gear
Hooker 2151 cut and rewelded to clear plugs
BBK 58 mm TB
FMS 24 # injectors
MSD 8366 Small Cap, MSD 6AL, MSD 8.5mm wires
Accell Shorty Plugs
86-89,,, 165/ECM

:hump:

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
What kind of mods to the water neck for that to fit? I am going with a Stealth ram after my next mod and I can't decide if I want to change the hood or the intake.

·
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
raidmagic said:
What kind of mods to the water neck for that to fit? I am going with a Stealth ram after my next mod and I can't decide if I want to change the hood or the intake.
I just took a Sawz All, and cut @ 1/2" from the base of the neck where it meets the flat part of the housing, then rewelded it back on, I can post pics of that tomorrow, but basically it is a Thermo housing that is @ 1/2" shorter with the inlet tube closer to parallel.

You can see in the last pics where the back of the Thermo has a gap beore it was welded.

·
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
-=Jeff=- said:
Nice Work LD!!!!

yopu are as bad with intakes as I am with exhaust
Thanks Jeff:thumbsup: I had no intentions of making this the Plenum to beat all Plenums, but I am hopeful that it will be OK.

I still plan on making a new plenum from Sheet Metal in the winter, I just didnt want to be without the Vette for the rest of the summer, so this was a quick fix.

Basically the Throttle Cable Clearance is a non-issue, I just made a new bracket which I will post pics of in the next day or so once it is mounted.

The Thermo was an easy fix, and I have @ 3/8" of good clearance.

All I need to do is get some time to clean it up and paint it and then start the car up for the first heat cycle, then seat the rings, then get some datalogs.

I'll post finished pics no later than Saturday. :excited:

·
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, did some light sanding after Ol'RJ layed a very nice bead around the perimeter.

Gonna get on the Bridgeport one more time on Wednessday to clean up the slots in the top, open up the ID of the mount plate and then I'll paint it and should start it up on Friday/Saturday.

·
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still need to figure out what to do about cosmetics, powder coat, or Polish, I dont know yet, but I can take it off in 5 minutes so I will be driving it for now.

I will clean the up the Throttle Cable Bracket later too, I need some drive time and datalogs next.

I will hit the track in a week or two after a break in (new Clutch/PP) and dyno in the probably end of August or early Sept.

·
726 Posts

·
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dan85Vette said:
:surprised

Gotta love that! Awesome job LD85 :partyon: Looks very clean inside that bay, the valve covers really make it stand out.

Thanks,:thumbsup: I cant wait to get it to the track

·
DC Crew
20,699 Posts
Thanks,:thumbsup: I cant wait to get it to the track
Have you had a chance at all yet? Any new opinions made with overall driving experience?

Sure is a great looking setup. If Holley got off their butts, they'd be selling more of those... it's a great option for C4ers since its comparitively a lower cost upgrade but not if it doesn't fit under your hood.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Have you had a chance at all yet? Any new opinions made with overall driving experience?

If Holley got off their butts, they'd be selling more of those... it's a great option for C4ers since its comparitively a lower cost upgrade but not if it doesn't fit under your hood.

:agree: Yep, they could probably sell a lot more of them if they offered a lower profile version. 'Vettes aren't the only cars with limited hood clearance.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I can agree with the low hood clearance thing as well. They are an excellent intake, but they don't fit under the hood of a vette, or a camaro if I recall.

·
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Sure is a great looking setup. If Holley got off their butts, they'd be selling more of those... it's a great option for C4ers since its comparatively a lower cost upgrade but not if it doesn't fit under your hood.

NOPE, I have a slipping clutch, which I need to replace, + I am getting the car painted before I drive in the Hot Rod Power Tour.

As far as drive ability, I love it, I have a 233/233 Hyd-Roller cam with .576 lift and the car is docile at regular driving but if I give it some pedal going 35-50, the rear kicks out.

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com/tech/0307htp_hollley_stealthram_intake_third_gen_iroc/

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=400178+308750+115&autoview=sku

·
Registered
38 Posts
thanks for the info LD85. btw i saw where you were running 24# injectors right. If you estimate the power to be around 600, i calculate that you need 44 # injectors to feed that power combo. 600hp x .5/ 6.8 = 44.12 # injectors. and that is @ 85 percent. You can ask grumpy and see what he thinks. Wouldn't want you to burn up that motor dude.

·
Registered
474 Posts
That engine looks so beautiful and powerful...it really makes a statement that it can take out just about anything thats allowed to be registered and insured to be on the road.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts